before...

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

before...

Post by zombiepeople » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:26 am

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
The situation will seem easier to deal with and I can focus on thinking about something else.

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
Hurting myself will bring me peace and mental serenity

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way? I want to feel better. At least hurting myself will make me feel better, but later the good will mix with the uncomfortable guilt, but it's better then what I feel now.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
The relief will last as long as I can feel the pain and see the results

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
I am trying to do other things like talking to people and watching TV and so on. Hurting myself will make me feel better, but will not physically change the situation i'm in.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
Tomorrow I will feel good, but mixed strongly in with guilt about what I did. Even if I do the things I;m trying to do now, I will still feel bad and will not feel accomplished.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I really want to cut and I know the urges are there to keep me from trying to kill myself, but is this really any better? I don't know.

abbyfornow
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by abbyfornow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Hurting myself will bring me peace and mental serenity
but later the good will mix with the uncomfortable guilt
Hurting myself will make me feel better, but will not physically change the situation i'm in.
Remember these things; deep inside you know that Si will just bring a distraction at this moment, but later you would have to deal with the guilt. Try your other coping strategies; if that doesn't work, find new ones. One of my favorites is painting. When, I first started I would just paint diagonals across and across the paper in many different colors. I painted fast in motions over and over. His helped me a lot, especially when I then painted the word I was feeling a the moment across the middle of the painting. "Trauma" "Anger" "Rage"
The situation will seem easier to deal with and I can focus on thinking about something else
The relief will last as long as I can feel the pain and see the results
I understand these two feelings greatly. I tell others that SI allows me to be in control of the pain. And the new pain I can feel and tell exactly what brought on that pain. Yet, the reality is the pain that I have just covered up by using SI is only masked at the moment, and will come back again. These are the issues I have to deal with. Once I have taken a look at these and worked through them, then I will no longer feel that pain and I will no longer have to SI. Thus said, find out the past or present events that are triggering you. Do you know what they are?
abby