Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

jennikins84
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Before

Post by jennikins84 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:05 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    I will feel relaxed and at ease. I will feel like the inevitable has happened at last and I can sleep.

• what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    I will be able to fill my arm up just a bit more (I know that's stupid but it's really angering me now). I want to do it so badly. I don't have a good reason - I just feel so tense.
    I guess it will take away my ability to wear short sleeves in my flat, or anywhere.

• how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I don't seem to be able to think about the long run. I want to cope with my course at uni, and I want to get a job eventually in TV production - but I'm not sure that hurting myself will affect those two things directly.

• if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    It will probably last till the morning at least. THen i have to go into hospital for a lumbar puncture and so I will be very very distracted.

• what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I could go and chat to my flatmates. But I think that will make me feel more jittery in the long run because we will all still have to go to bed at some point. I don't think it would alter my eventual intentions.

• how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    TOmorrow I will feel very scared that at the hospital someone will notice my arm, if they force me to take my jumper off. I will feel guilty and generally horrid. If I go and chat to my flatmates, I will feel guilty (but less so, I guess) about taking up their time.

• what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    I really really want to si now. but I will try and wait. I could go out of my room and try and find a flatmate to hug.

Meh - not sure if anything makes any sense.

Jenni
<center>:1hugs: Hugs are always welcome.... :1hugs:

"To every complex problem there is an easy answer - and it is wrong." - Anon

"anyone can see the signs
mittens in the summertime
thank you for your pity, you are too kind"

You get through one day at a time, / You find a way of staying numb....
But don't look in the mirror / To see what you've become..." - Fame</center>

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:12 am

I hope you made it through okay. :star: