before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Inthebox
building community
building community

before

Post by Inthebox » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself? It will be an honest expression . A howl of a wolf in the lonely landscape. It will be an honest act of who I am, of what I am now, instead of pretending all the time, pretending that I am normal, pretending that there is a 'better' for me. It will change my situation because it will end 7 months of not cutting and start me on a path of trying to realize that I (1) am a cutter and (2) want to express my deep distress at realizing I've been chasing a dream of normal for 20 years, I am never to be what I was going to be before the trauma.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation? It will bring a sense of my real identity, of what I am after the years of trauma. It will take away some of the threads that keep my anchored in the 'normal' lie; which everyone around me wants to be real for me. God, why doesn't anyone realize that I can't fake forever for them?
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way? It's a slippery slope. It will be up to me to keep it in control and make sure that I don't let the cutting run me, that I learn to use it. I can't change my mind and freak out about it. I can't even let anyone know.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then? If I don't freak out about it, the relief will be as long as I keep cutting. Yes, it will start a cycle that will never end.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation I'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then? Well, I gave myself until today to wait and think about it. It's today and I still am wondering about it. I am going clearance shopping this morning instead of being alone to put it off for just a tiny bit more. I asked pdoc for a mild anti psychotic prn, I'll be picking that up today, just in case my thinking is off, maybe that will help.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with? If I hurt myself today, then tomorrow I will hurt myself again If I don't hurt myself I'll be in the same place I am today, poised and ready will a deep sadness and anger in my heart that I am not who I was meant to be because of the years of trauma. I will never be constant enough to have friends, I will never be rid of the flashbacks and fear. My husband thinks I have no reason to have any problems and he hates me for my symptoms. it makes it hard to be in such a non supportive environment. I wish he would just divorce me and then i wouldn't have to see his hate everyday.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I really want to commit suicide, but htat door is closed. I think cutting is honoring it.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me? Wait, wait ,wait I used to talk to my T. but she is gone, they all are.
  • How do I feel right now? Like a bubble about to pop. Sad for not having any real life support.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself? Perfect.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning? Probably sore, mixed feelings.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future? No, thats the problem. I've been in denial for 20 years. I'll never be who I was meant to be. I am a shell of who I was meant to be. I am damaged, I am useless, I am nothing in the real world. I can't make friends, my husband hates me, I can't work, I will never 'get better'. The flashbacks will never stop. My chest hurts.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
Ah, the need and want. I NEED support, someone who won't hate me for being confused about the past the present. Someone who understands how upset I am, someone who will hug me when I'm overwhelmed. That is what I need. In lieu of that cutting is my way.
"We think the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don't really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. The healing comes from letting there be room for it all to happen: Room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy." Pema Chodron

"There is room for all of your feelings - take a moment, be quiet and let there be room in your heart and the bursting will ease" C

"What a Long, Strange Trip it's been" Grateful Dead