before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Artemisia
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

before

Post by Artemisia » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
desperation

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
it won't but i DONT CARE!!!

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
it will make me feel beter, it will stop me crying in front of my bf and looking like a needy brat but i won't get any closer to being honest either.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
further away - i hate not being able to talk to people; i am ready to scream and howl and i did the other night, quietly in the bathroom i sat and sobbed for 2 hours but now all i wanna do is cry again and i am so sick of being sad and mopy - i don't want it to become a habit that every time i slow down i get sad.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
i dunno. a couple of days, maybe a week, or more, depends how long it takes to heal. i'll probably be back here. i just don't want to cry in front of anyone but i'm so desperate for someone to care and see me and know what a mess i am and how hard it is to smile and be bouncy all freakin day. i am so tired.

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
work. i have tons of studying. but i'll still want to cut. it won't change the situation, i could cry but i'm too ashamed to be so needy. i hate myself for being needy and not allowing myself to be needy. ARGH! :omad: :omad: i can sleep but the problem will be back. i still need to open up in therapy but HOW??? how do people just do this? how can ANYONE tell me how? :oconf: :oconf: :oconf: seriously.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
crap i suppose, and proud. crap. and over it.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
cry, and sob and to talk, just go to tpy and talk - but oh wait it's 12am...lol...i need to go totpy when i'm in this state, not on schedule when i'm clammed up like an idiot. maybe i can tell my tpist that... *Strokey beard pose* i could phone my tpist cos he's told me that's wot i should do but i dont wanna wake him up or bitch to him about nothing but i do but i don't want my bf to know. *sob* i am so close to crying :puppydogeyes:

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
i think so. went down stairs and chatted about stupid stuff to mates, but no one's here.

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
phone tpist. but i won't.

How do I feel right now?
so so fragile and hurt and desperately sad :cry:

How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
now, probably awful. if i hadn't thought about it i'd probably feel great.

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
numb, buzzy. crap.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
talk. that's all i have to do is fucking talk... and i can't i'm 22 and i can't tell ppl, not even my best mate or tpist wat's going on.

Do I need to hurt myself?
no. and i won't for the moment. *sob* the system's pretty useful...still feel shitty tho :cry:
"A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages"

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=135967 <<<My Place (please read and comment; it are lonely here :blush: )

LoverlyLaurie is my soul sister :D

Roxi is my twisted sister

loveLights
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Re: before

Post by loveLights » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:27 am

hi. i hope you don't mind me replying. i just wanted to say that i have a hard time opening up and telling people what's going on too. have you tried writing letters. (i've written lots of letters that i will never send)
either way, i hope you feel better soon.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
~M. Kathleen Casey
If you cannot be a poet, be the poem.
~David Carradine
ImageImage
*HUGS!!!*
Visit my place!
My Workshop

awake.unafraid
growing roots
growing roots

Re: before

Post by awake.unafraid » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:06 am

You don't have to reply to any of these, I'm just tossing some things out there that struck me and you might want to think about.

----------

Does crying always mean need?
That's what kept striking me over and over that you're afraid to cry because it makes you seem needy.
What makes that connection? Does crying during a movie make you needy or is it just a release of emotion? Where's the lines between the two?

If it eases it at all I'm 21 and still trying to talk myself in therapy, so props on getting farther than I have.

On the other hand, what's keeping you from telling your best mate or boyfriend about it? Are you afraid of their reactions? Or are they people who could support / listen / help?

Maybe bring this up to your t, next time. That you considered calling him but didn't feel the situation was warranted enough too.

Worth a shot. Stay strong. PM if you need.
xNik