Before - and then to bed...

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

miffy
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Before - and then to bed...

Post by miffy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:19 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    I am really stressed out and tense from a bad day/week at work. The weekend is about to start and i dont want that tension to ruin the two days off. If i cut myself the tension will go and although i know it will come back on Sunday night when i start to think about work again, it will mean at least a day and a half of peace
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    What it will bring is release. But what it will take away is more - i am triying to giv up, and not really getting very far, i want to start again but wont feel as if i am achieving that until the cars i have have faded. If i cut tonight that will just prolong the time when i can start to fel as if i am letting it go again
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I definately want to be able to deal with work without harming myself every friday. i knwo that this week was a particulalry bad one and that not all weeks will belike it. CUtting myself wont make it any weasier for me to deal with hard weeks in the future. i need oto learn to deal with strwess in another way.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    The relief will last until work starts again on Monday morning. Then i knwo that it will build up again to next Friday. i dont want this to become a routine i need to stop it noe, before its started. But the temptation to cut now is great becase i am so fed up of feeling this stressed.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I am filling this in, i have watched tv shows on BBC IPlayer all evening, i shall go to bed and i am knackered so i am liely to fall asleep quickly and i know i will be a lot calmer tomorrow. Tomorrow will be ok and Sunday will be ok until the early evening. I need to livein the moment and learn to enjoy this respite before i go back into the lions den on Monday
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    This is the bit that gets me most confused because even though i say want to stop - i am not sure really what is making me say that - becuase i knwo that is what i should say,or becuase i actually do want to stop? The truth is that i like seeing the marks on my body, it makes me feel in control, even special. I wish i was revolted by them, but i'm not. And so how i will feel tomorrow is probably ranging from indifferent - to proud.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

What i really want to do is make cuts all the way up my forearm. But i am not going to. I guess if what i said in my last answer really was true then i wouldnt care if i had marks all over the palce. But i do. Why? I guess becuase i cant think of a plausible excuse and i dont want people to treat me different - or thinki am unstable. I am nto gonig to cut tonight but i want to consider this point further - its possibley a topic for the workshop

And now to bed...

Miffy
Happiness isn't about getting what you want
Happiness is about appreciating what you have