After. ):

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Manda_Rae
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

After. ):

Post by Manda_Rae » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:11 pm

have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.
yeah

what had happened just before?
my mom came in complaining about money and crying and fucking idk being pathetic

what were you thinking and feeling?
just pissed and i just wanted to smack her and tell her to get ahold of herself.

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?
Yeah that event with my mom. she just wouldnt pull herself together. so i went in my room and cut.

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.

she just doesnt stop and she thinks i care. before that, my brother was being an ass-hole and my dad of course is always an ass-hold. i could have left the house and walked around.

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
sort of lack of sleep. i could sleep more?

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
i didnt try anything else. i just snapped.

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
i coulve taken deep breaths or just went online and ignored her.

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
just remember them? i dont know.

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
im still mad about it. its not resolved. but i cant resolve it so idk.

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
yeah probably. she always does that and my brother and dad are always ass holes. I'll recognize it because it happens so much.

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
Read.
Walk around outside.
Go on bus.
She says she's all alone, says the world doesn't even know

funkymusic
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by funkymusic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 am

Hello! I haven't seen you around. I'm glad you're taking advantage of Bus's resources, such as this Before and After thread, which I find to be very helpful.

I can see you're still a little angry about the whole incident from your use of the word 'ass-hole' and the way your answers are a little short. Am I right? It just seems like you're still in a bit of an angry mood. If you are, you might want to try some calming exercises. Check out the coping forum -- there's a HUGE list in there for evading SI, and I believe there are some about how to relax.

Once again, good job taking control of the situation and recording your thoughts on Bus. Try to learn from this experience from next time. I'm sorry you have a rough time from your mom. Maybe next time, could you remove yourself from the situation? I know my mom can go ON and ON like that as well, and I just ask her if we could talk later, and then I go to my room and read a book or something.

I really hope that was helpful! Welcome to Bus!