After... :) for small victories

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

calluna
settling in
settling in

After... :) for small victories

Post by calluna » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 am

After You Beat an Urge
How do you beat your urges? Examine how you beat the last one so it can help you beat the next one.
  • Did I identify what feelings were leading me to want to SI?
    Yes
  • If Yes - What were they, and how did I figure them out?
    I realized that is just me worrying about my friend. Unlike my normal worrying, SIing wasn't going to help it. I'm still going to worry until she calls me back.
  • What coping skills did I use to deal with these feelings?
    I focused on my homework, spent sometime on BUS, and pestered my roommate to tell me all of her random thoughts, so that I could laugh.
  • Were these coping skills the most effective I could have used?
    I think so. The only thing I could have done better was to actually talk to my roomie about what is bothering me. I'm just not ready for that yet though.
  • If No - What coping skills got me through?
  • Why do I think they worked?
    They worked because I kept my mind occupied and now I'm tired enough that I can just go to sleep and turn my brain off. It's more avoidance than coping though.
  • How can I deal with these feelings more effectively next time, before the urge to SI sets in?
    I don't know. I guess maybe talking about it, but really that is still only going to get me so far. I'm still going to worry. It's just my nature, I don't think I can change that.

I might not have beaten this urge for the right reasons, but I'll take what I can get. I really need to work on coping with the urges, not just avoiding them.
:lpurpstar: