After - Positive

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

NewDawn13
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

After - Positive

Post by NewDawn13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 am

b]After You Beat an Urge[/b]
How do you beat your urges? Examine how you beat the last one so it can help you beat the next one.
  • Did I identify what feelings were leading me to want to SI?
    Yes
  • If Yes - What were they, and how did I figure them out?
    Panic/anxiety/lack of control. I was working on a study guide for an exam and I started panicking that I didn't know my stuff and all of a sudden the urge was there. I put down my books and sat on my hands so I could figure out what I was feeling before I acted.
  • What coping skills did I use to deal with these feelings?
    I took a step back and thought about what was going on. Instead of just seeking the relief for what I was feeling, I thought about the why and realized that my problem was manageable. I looked over the notes I did understand clearly and then went back to the problem area where I now felt like I was in control.
  • Were these coping skills the most effective I could have used?
    I think they were because the trigger came from my stress over the work I have to get done by tomorrow's exam.
  • Why do I think they worked?
    They helped rationalize what I was feeling (from the difficult course work) and helped me recognize that I could get through it on my own (by reviewing what I understood well)
  • How can I deal with these feelings more effectively next time, before the urge to SI sets in?
    I need to think about my approach to work, because although I was able to deal with the urge, I had no control over its arrival. I need to work on being able to accept when something doesn't come easily to me -- that it's okay when I come across something challenging. I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish this, but hopefully acknowledging that I need to make a change in my mindset will set me on the right path.
*Dawn*
~*my little corner of the world*~

*Hugs and PMs okay!*

caged bird
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by caged bird » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:28 am

that's a really positive post thanks for sharing it.

well done on getting through some tough urges,and taking the time to listen toyourself and your feeling sand work out what was going on - that takes some skill :)

is there someone (a tutor/teacher/mentor/friend) that you could talk to about your work, get them to offer you some support for study skills, approaching wor in different ways etc, or maybe even just to go to with the stuff you are finding hard to get a bit of extra support. sometimes having some bac up support can be relaly helpful to just reassure you that you can do it.

good luck with the exam xx
visit my website
My Place

Being almost devastated is horrible because it lingers. But total devastation brings a kind of peace. It lets you give up.
Thieves and Kings: Volume Two by Mark Oakly

The line between normal and crazy seemed impossibly thin. A person would have to be an expert tightrope walker in order not to fall.
Running with scissors - Augusten Burroughs