After

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

After

Post by NobodyToYou » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:45 pm

have you taken care of your physiacl wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.
No, don't need it.

what had happened just before?
This is very stupid. I was having strong wishes to go out to eat at my favorite resteraunt. But I know I will be going there Saturday with my family and I don't need to waste money going there today too. So...I chose not to go. But the wish/urge wouldn't go away...I got frustrated with myself and SIed.

what were you thinking and feeling?
I was angry with myself for having such irrational urges that didn't respond to logic. I am upset that I am not ready for my final tomorrow (another reason to stay home and study, not go out to eat). I am probably more triggered because it has been almost 10 days since my last SI. But...none of those are good enough reasons to explain what I have done. I am now incredibly angry with myself...I threw away a lot of hard work and progress over NOTHING!

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was teh final straw? what was it?
I don't know. There is no reason for it. I have been a lot more upset than I was then in the past few days and got through it. But this one...I didn't get through. I don't even know if I tried to. I guess the real difference was that I was trying to clean my house somewhat (hide all evidence of SI/depression) and I picked up my tools. I could have just put them away. But I didn't. I chose to use them first...and it was a deliberate choice.

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events thatled up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decisiona nd not arrived at the final straw.
So many things could have changed it. Even just trying would have changed it.

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
Was off my meds a few days ago, but back on for the past two days.

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
Nothing. And obviously doing nothing doesn't work. I just made myself something else to eat...feeling strong urges to purge it, but going to resist that. But, I didn't really realize I was having urges to SI until I was making the decision to SI.

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
Anything would have helped. I should have put the tools down. I should have taken a nap. I should have gone out to eat and wasted $5 before SIing. Anything would have been a better choice than the one I made.

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
I don't know what to do...I guess I need to slow down, but I am not sure I would have caught myself fast enough to remember to slow down. I don't know....Angry angry angry. :x :evil: :x

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
I don't know...I guess the problem was being angry and frustrated with myself and I am actually more angry now. Because I didn't SI badly enough to get the relief I want, but I did do enough to get the sense of guilt and ruin my days free. So...it seems to me very logical that I need a lot more SI to take care of this. But somehow, I know this logic doesn't add up somehow...just right now, it seems very right.

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
Um...yes. Still here.

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
I am posting here.
I will drink hot chocolate (have to drink it slow, it will take time)
And...um...I will...try to wait at least five minutes before doing anything.

jaded melody
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by jaded melody » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:12 am

Hi, I read.
I don't know what to do...I guess I need to slow down, but I am not sure I would have caught myself fast enough to remember to slow down. I don't know....Angry angry angry.
Thats been a major problem for me, often my SI is so impulsive i dont stop to think about it. Sometimes it helps if i hide my tools someplace where if i want to get to them it will take me a minute in which i can think "actually, maybe i dont need to do this..."
I am posting here.
I will drink hot chocolate (have to drink it slow, it will take time)
And...um...I will...try to wait at least five minutes before doing anything.
Im glad you're doing these things. Sounds really cliched but sometimes the best way is to just do something thats distracting. When i had an anxiety attack i had to keep my mind occupied so i got addicted to Su Doku puzzles for example.

Take care x
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:22 pm

It sounds to be like you're very angry. Can you put your finger at what you're angry at and why? What caused it?
And how you can direct that anger out of you so you get rid of it in a healthy way?

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:07 am

Distraction is a great tool...I am not sure why I didn't want to use it this time...for some reason, it didn't seem to work. Maybe I was too upset or didn't realy want it to work...have to think about it.
I was angry at myself. And looking back, it does seem that it was excessive.
I talked to my T about this some too...
I think the wanting to go out to eat was not so much about the food, but about wanting to nurture myself (which I don't do very well...). And having such a strong urge for something that I usually consider weak and stupid (not for other people, just me)...it upset me. It wasn't something I wanted to admit was there. I don't want to need nurturing, ever. From me or anyone else. But...life doesn't seem to work that way. So...the SI was an attempt to turn off the weak side of me that wanted to be taken care of and spoiled. And it worked...but it strengthened a part of me that I don't like too. The mean punishing part that is never happy. So... :evil: evil side won and I hurt myself. And needy side lost and got pushed away for a while longer. This is getting rambly and complicated. Probably not even what you were asking about. I am tired.
Dealing with the anger in a healthy manner...I think in some ways, I needed to challenge it. Not because anger is unacceptable, but because this anger with myself was not justified until I SIed. I was angry with the needy side...then became angry because I was too weak to handle the situation without SI. It seems I had decided I was angry with myself and was going to be angry no matter what I did. So...I don't kno w if logically challenging it would have helped or not. But it is something that might have helped...Other things...I could have cut up a cardboard box, or taken a walk. My T was asking if I could have looked for a compromise...something to satify the part that needs nurturing, but without spending money or being wasteful. I haven't thought of one yet, but I think that might be possible.
Ok...I have done as much thinking as I can for tonight. But I appreciate the reply, since it helps me process this stuff.

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaelyn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:21 pm

Its good that you understand what caused your anger, so you can look for a way to maybe balance your 'mean part' and your 'nurturing part'. Like your T said - a compromise.
NobodyToYou wrote: name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
I don't know what to do...I guess I need to slow down, but I am not sure I would have caught myself fast enough to remember to slow down. I don't know....Angry angry angry
I don't know if I understood you correctly, but would it help to increase the time before you get to your tools? For example by wrapping them up or put tape around them? (So it would give you the time to 'slow down' and consider if that is really what you want to do at the moment?)
my place (visitors welcome)
fall seven times, stand up eight

Hope blooms, even in the darkest of places