After

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

After

Post by Kaelyn » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:27 pm

Okay, not sure if I answered it clear enough (my first post here), if not feel free to ask questions.

:grnstar: have you taken care of your physical wounds?
Yes

:grnstar: what had happened just before?
I had an evaluation-talk with the commission that is currently assessing if they're going to allow me to medical school. It was very confronting. Insulting as well. They seem to have totally missed the point about my character. The professor was telling me that I am unable to sense other people's emotions and that I'm also unable to show compassion. He said my final mark was an average, but that he thought I wouldn't last long as a doctor. That I wouldn't be good to my patients.

:grnstar: what were you thinking and feeling?
I felt really hurt by what he said. I got both angry and sad.
Self-hate thoughts running through my head again (I'm worthless, etc)

:grnstar: why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was teh final straw? what was it?
The final straw was when he said I wouldn't be good anyway, even if I tried to practise to change it or get better at handling patients. On top of that, I wanted to hand in my traineeship report, and my supervisor had said she was available all day. So I come to drop off my report... supervisor gone... she had a work meeting and I had to wait for 2 hours... when I had better things to do, like learning for my philosophy exam (tomorrow).
I ended up hurting myself because my coping methods did not work (I tried other things first)

:grnstar: how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events thatled up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decisiona nd not arrived at the final straw.
I could have tried explaining the professorhead that all the time when he was observing me for social skills, I had dissociation problems. That would probably explain why I "didn't interact with others". But that would mean explaining how I got those problems. I'm too much of a coward to do that.

:grnstar: were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
not really... maybe a slight lack of sleep and tons of stress.. but apart from that, no

:grnstar: what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
I tried snapping my wristband, but that actually triggered me more. then I tried calling a friend. Voicemail x 3. So I read one of the letters (have asked friends to write a letter for when I'm feeling bad and triggered). That helped a little. But not enough apparently.

:grnstar: in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
Talking to a friend. that usually calms me down. but they were busy with their own things, couldn't reach them.

:grnstar: name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
Write them on my coping card
remember to put my coping card in my pocket instead of leaving it at home.

:grnstar: how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
It's not resolved. I don't know how to solve it either.

:grnstar: are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
very likely... I think there might be more evaluation thingies next year, if I go on with medicine. So no need to recognize, I'll know in advance when I will feel bad again.

:grnstar: what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
Try to reach one of my friends again.
Read one of the letters again.
Maybe get a pillow, pretend its the professors' head and throw it against the wall *evil grin*
my place (visitors welcome)
fall seven times, stand up eight

Hope blooms, even in the darkest of places

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:08 am

Maybe get a pillow, pretend its the professors' head and throw it against the wall *evil grin*
I really like that idea!
I think that situation would be very difficult because it brings up so many strong emotions...is that what made it so hard for you? Or was it something different that made his comments so triggering?
It is interesting that his comments triggered your self-hate. Is it easier to be angry with yourself or decide that you are not good enough than it is to be angry with him? I don't know if that is important, but it might be.
It also sounds like you know rational reasons that you may have gotten evaluated badly (dissociation could easily cause problems...) but that knowing that didn't really take the frustration away. Is there another way you could have let that frustration out? Or maybe it was some other feeling...I am just assuming from what i would be feeling in that situation.
Another thing I saw...
The professor was telling me that I am unable to sense other people's emotions and that I'm also unable to show compassion.
I doubt that is true...however, that makes me wonder if you are good at expressing your own emotions? The only way he will know you have sensed emotion would be if you responded to it....same with compassion...it has to be an outward reaction rather than an inward reaction. But I know many people dealing with SI have a hard time expressing emotion or reactions to other people. If this is true for you, then it CAN change. Because you are not incapable of being understanding...it is just harder for you to communicate the understanding to others. And a good T could probably help...even without one, if you are practicing understanding and expressing your feelings (BUS may help), you may get a lot better at it. I am getting better...So I know it is possible.
I hope you are doing better now.

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaelyn » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:54 pm

NobodyToYou wrote: I think that situation would be very difficult because it brings up so many strong emotions...is that what made it so hard for you? Or was it something different that made his comments so triggering?
It was especially triggering because of the way he came with the comments. Somehow he brought up strong emotions, at one point he triggered a flashback by saying something... I almost broke down... I couldn't hear what he was saying anymore and all those "images" went through my head.
Maybe it was also difficult because of the situation. I mean, I couldn't really argue with them, because they still had to decide whether they were going to allow me in or not. The professor almost seemed to enjoy this "might" he had over the students. I really hate such situations because they make me feel helpless again.

NobodyToYou wrote:It is interesting that his comments triggered your self-hate. Is it easier to be angry with yourself or decide that you are not good enough than it is to be angry with him?
I guess it is easier to get angry with myself. Somehow I always become mad at myself if I get comments on things that I think of as important. I almost automatically think that is my fault and that I deserve to be punished for it. It doesn't make things better that I tend to sort for the negative comments, I only hear those. Compliments go straight to the "litter bin". My T and I tried to change those things, but I'm having great difficulty in changing it all somehow. Haven't found the right method to make things different yet.
NobodyToYou wrote: that makes me wonder if you are good at expressing your own emotions?
You're right, I'm not good at expressing my emotions at all. Whenever I feel angry, afraid, uncomfortable, sad or whatever and I'm with other people, i just put up my happy mask, grin and pretend nothing's wrong. Iam afraid of showing others how I feel.. maybe because they all expect me to be happy. When I'm alone there's no problem. That is when I can cry or be angry. Writing down things kinda works as well, if I pretend I write them for myself and others wont read it. My T told me that I should express my emotions to others as well, but I don't know how.. maybe Im just too scared to do it. He didn't give me any advice though. And he is on holiday now (and I'll be leaving soon as well) so I won't meet him for another three weeks.

I'm doing a bit better now, went to see Madagascar with some friends yesterday, to cheer me up a little. Thank you for your reply, I really appreciated it because its so useful. :)
my place (visitors welcome)
fall seven times, stand up eight

Hope blooms, even in the darkest of places

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:31 am

Glad it helped...it sounds like you are really thinking through the issues involved, and I think that is very good. It has been helpful to me.
I don't have a whole lot of words now, cause I just wrote my own After. But I can see how the flashbacks would be a problem...do you have any ways you use to calm yourself when your emotions start going wild like that? I know it can be very difficult (and i have never had anything as hard as a flashback) but you might want to work on that with your T as well. Or practice some of the grounding or calming things on the coping board. Because if you can calm yourself when you feel it starting, maybe it won't get quite so bad...I don't know. I am just guessing since I have never had one. Let me know if it helps or not...