Before post

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

eatredapples
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Before post

Post by eatredapples » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:05 am

Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

I've felt a bit down since I went and saw Hide & Seek. Then I sat and waited for my mom because she was in a different movie. I just felt all weird inside. Then at dinner I was reminded of something she said 4-5 years ago. It comes and goes, and it just hasn't gone yet. It's just really bugging me today. I just think it'll stop if I hurt myself, and I really want it to stop. It's like it's becoming not just a brief, superficial thought anymore, like it usually is.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

I've wanted to hurt myself before, but not really over this. I've filled this thing out before, as I'm doing again. I've colored before, but I haven't done that yet. I just feel tired...maybe I should go to sleep and tape the show I usually watch.

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

I watched a bit of tv, then got online. My friend started chatting with me, but that's pretty much done now, it seems. I really don't know what to do...I'm just really tired.

How do I feel right now?

Very blah. I feel light and heavy right now. And sad.

How will I feel when I am hurting myself?

Focused. I'd put all my thoughts on that one action.

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?

Better, like everything will stop for a bit, and then maybe it'll be like a restart, but without thoughts. I'll be calm and it'll be like this wave has leveled out.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?

Usually it just leaves after a few minutes, but I can't stop thinking about it. I need to not let it pester me. I don't know what to do about it.

Do I need to hurt myself?

I'm not sure how I want to answer this. I think yes and no, even though I know the answer is supposed to be no.

Wendy
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Wendy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi,

Coloring and sleeping are both good. I always feel the most urges when I'm tired. Do you have anyone in real life that you can talk to about your feelings? Have you tried journaling -- writing your feelings down longhand. Those are things that have sometimes helped me. I'm glad you posted here -- I've found it helps me when I do.

Take gentle care!

Wendy

eatredapples
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by eatredapples » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:19 am

I've been to three therapists/psychiatrists, and I would talk to them (well, not so much my last one) but I don't see anyone anymore. I ended up not sharing quite a bit because I just didn't want to seem weird or anything. Maybe that wasn't the best thing, but I can't really change it now. I don't really talk to anyone know. I don't even know if I'd want to because I don't want people (friends) to think I'm strange.

I have been thinking about telling my friend that I used to cut. I won't mention that I have a couple times recently, because I don't plan to get back into it...they were just slip-ups. But then I don't want to burden her with that, and I wouldn't want her to tell anyone (like her boyfriend), but that's not fair to her. I remember in high school there was a group of us and we got on the subject, and I think she said she tried hurting herself once, but she couldn't do it because it hurt too much. I think she would understand, though, but I don't want to put her in an akward situation, and I don't know what telling her would do in the long run.

I do have a journal on lj--made a new name. I've written a bit in it, and it does help some. I'm afraid to write in a journal in case my mom finds it. She did look through my room once before, and that's when she found out I was seeing a therapist and cutting (this was in 2001). I've never kept anything in my room that's private since then. She doesn't look anymore (I can tell when she does) but I still get nervous about it. So lj was the next best thing. I ended up jotting something quickly on lj, then went to bed. Once I got to bed I didn't want to get up, so that helped a lot.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll try journaling even more during those times.