Deja's Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

dejavu0225
bus addict
bus addict

Deja's Before

Post by dejavu0225 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:49 am

have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.
yes.

what had happened just before?

it's more a culmination of the week.

what were you thinking and feeling?
we had been discussing therapy issues on bus and i confessed that i had a hard time communicating because i think it has to do with being intimidated by authority. even though those "in authority" don't know they are, i put them there.

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?
no event was the final straw. just a build up of urginess that compounded and when i finally did cut on myself, the relief was, well, a relief.

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.
i don't know how it got to the final straw. i'm not sure there really is a final straw. the urginess just builds. tracing it back, it goes to the conversation we had about T's and communication. i feel like a complete failure in that department. i'm not sure if my failure to communicate well is because i'm too intimidated by the implied (by me) authority or if i am just to overwhelmed and can't think while i'm there.

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
yes to every one but meds and alcohol. i tried to drink. it's too damn hard. you have to suffer through that horrible taste before you get the results you want. to address those in the future.... i don't know what to do about the sleep. i fall asleep anywhere from 10-11pm and wake up between 3-4am. the drugs. i need to slow way down. make it a special thing. like an evening drink. that might help.
what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
i picked at my scars, i did some housework, i swept the deck, i watched the boob tube, i went outside and got high, cleaned up the deck....
in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
i just need to get my head right. i quit smoking by going cold turkey...i just had to wait until my head was right. maybe it's the same way for si. until then, i could do this, write in the "before" thread." I'm supposed to call my t, but that is so hard because i don't feel in a crisis right now. so i shouldn't call him, right? you only call when you are in a crisis. true i never do cut on myself when we talk, but i think it's just me feeling guilty afterwards and it's easier to stay away from the wrong stuff when guilt is present.

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
i never forget those coping methods, they just only work for a very short period of time. if i'm gonna do it, i'm going to do it.
how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?

I need to print out the original bus conversation and let T read it and try to express myself about my fears and resolve this little issue. Problem is, that is so scary.

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
yes, definitely. maybe not on this particular problem, but i'll find others. will i recognize them? probably not. i only just figured this one out last night and i cut on myself on tuesday and then tonight. i'm slow at figuring things out.

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
1. distraction by walking, working, journaling
2. be more honest and verbal during sessions so i'm not so frustrated
3. get out the crafty crap and do something with my hands
Now don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky.
It slips away and all your money won't another minute buy.
Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind. -Kansas

green chameleon
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by green chameleon » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:40 pm

(((((((((((DEJA))))))))))))
It's hard to cut when you're holding a cat.

"Where are we first and last, bound together in our past. Much too cruel, much to fast, much too quick to anger. Traps laid bare in my face set to keep me in my place, say goodbye to the child, life it seems is colder." The Chameleons