I told myself I wouldn't do it until camp was over, but....

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Fleur
building community
building community

I told myself I wouldn't do it until camp was over, but....

Post by Fleur » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:44 am

Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
I feel worthless. Selfish. Irresponsible. A failure. Out of control. And I want some of that control back.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
Been here before, but coping mechanisms suck, that the only thing I can think of to deal is something self-destructive.

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
I've gone out with friends. Watched TV to try to distract me. Guess I could try more distractions, but that's all they do is distract. They don't make the feelings go away.

How do I feel right now?
Sad. Scared.

How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
Numb.

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
Ashamed, I guess. Fearing that someone at camp will find out, and that a stunt like this could harm my chances at the promotion I've been aiming for.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
Could probably figure out a way to realize when I'm starting to fall, so I can get myself help before I get myself in too deep.

Do I need to hurt myself?
Yes?

Jomomma
board admin
board admin

Re: I told myself I wouldn't do it until camp was over, but.

Post by Jomomma » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Fleur wrote:Do I need to hurt myself?
Yes?
You answered with a question
Need is subjective at times isn't it?

I guess I could ask what would it accomplish if you did choose to hurt yourself?

What could you accomplish if you chose not to?

Can you take some time to look at what you wish to accomplish and which path would lead you to that?
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:14 pm

I think those are good questions to look at, I also noticed that your "yes" was a question, maybe you can think of some of the things that are keeping that a question instead of an absolute?

:star: prox. :star:
[hello depression you're back again]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

littlethings
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: I told myself I wouldn't do it until camp was over, but.

Post by littlethings » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:22 pm

Fleur wrote:Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
I feel worthless. Selfish. Irresponsible. A failure. Out of control. And I want some of that control back.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
Been here before, but coping mechanisms suck, that the only thing I can think of to deal is something self-destructive.
Do all coping mechanism suck? Or just the ones you have tried? Not all coping mechanisms are distractions, perhaps you should try some ways to express your feelings. You could draw, or write a letter to your feelings, or even mimich SI by tearing up cardboard and the like. If you need to be destructive you could smash ice or hit something with a pillow. For control, I usually organize things, or do something I know I've been putting off. It's hard, but it does work.

You also responded yes to the last question, Did you self-harm? If you did, I would suggest answering the 'after a slip' questions. They are very helpful, even if it seems like the problem is over because you self-injured, you will learn something from them.

JoAnna

Fleur
building community
building community

Post by Fleur » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:47 am

You know, it's weird looking back at all that. Knowing that a week later, I'm in a completely opposite mood, and it scares me to think how bad things were then.

But I didn't SI, so I hope I can use this as a reminder that those feelings are only temporary. Thank you everyone who responded! *Hugs if ok*