Introducing myself / Getting things started

for talking about the whole welcoming new people to bus project.

Moderators: Butterfly., Paws

xanemicroyaltyx
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Introducing myself / Getting things started

Post by xanemicroyaltyx » Sun May 15, 2005 9:17 pm

Hey,

I just thought I'd introduce myself to everyone who doesn't know me. I'm Emma, i've been using the board for about 3 years now. I'm really excited that I've been given the role of moderator for this board/usergroup.

As jomomma said in a post a few days ago, there are 130 people in the Welcome Wagon usergroup. I have lots of ideas for this project but before I start trying to implement these I want to establish who's still active in the board. I was hoping that, originally, a small group of people from the usergroup would be willing to build some form of foundations for this group and help involve other members of the board with the project.

If you'd be interested in helping do this could you PM me or reply to this post? I'd really like to get things moving and really get the project actively involved within the community.

Much love,

Emma xxxxxxxx

cariad
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by cariad » Sun May 15, 2005 10:04 pm

:o :o emma used a long word like immlement and and there were no ees or eeps and and ooo"!
*mog thinks she has just seen emmas schoolwriting side* :o
*mog is hiding behind pot plant*
mog is very proud of emma for being a mod
mog loves emma xxxxxxxxxxx
:purpstar:

bexy
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by bexy » Sun May 15, 2005 10:41 pm

:roll: <-at Mog. My plant pot :tongue:

Ems, I'd love to help build some form of foundation for this group. Just let me know what I can do.

Post by Guest » Mon May 16, 2005 11:20 am

What ideas have you got? It could be a fabulous thing.

xanemicroyaltyx
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by xanemicroyaltyx » Mon May 16, 2005 8:29 pm

*waves at everyone*

Okay, well here are a few ideas that i suggested to Deb-

When the project was first brainstormed in the forum a lot of what seemed really constructive ideas came out of it. A couple that I thought would be good to actively pursue were suggested by kurdt_kobain and also rednick.

Kurdt suggested that people took it in turns to pm new users- perhaps the idea that some sort of rota could be drawn up to do so. There was also a suggestion by rednick that a standard pm was sent out to new users. Independently both of these ideas seem workable, but together I think that would have an even more constructive effect. By having a personal PM, as well as a standard PM, it would not only welcome the user to the board, but also it would welcome the user to the community.

BUS can seem to be somewhat clique-y, and, therefore, it seems a good idea to me if new users could make contact with existing users from their joining, as if to try and draw them into the community- perhaps make them feel accepted. I know that this may not be what everyone would want though.

Perhaps an idea for the project could be that when a user joins up, members of the welcome wagon user group could keep track of them for awhile- not just welcoming them on their first post. In real life I know that with a lot of new things I’ve taken part in having a ‘buddy’ or just a face you see on more than one occasion can be reassuring and make you feel more involved.

Just a few ideas- if anyone else has any ideas or feedback that would be great :D. xxx

Post by Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 3:09 pm

By having a personal PM, as well as a standard PM, it would not only welcome the user to the board, but also it would welcome the user to the community.
I really like that idea, if we could get a workable rota that would be great. I know I'd have appreciated a personal PM.

One thing we could maybe do is send a little explanation of some of the long standing threads in each forum- like the epics in the arc and RW- and an invite to join them? That might take some work and be a bit fiddly, but the big threads can be a bit much for new people to feel happy about jumping into, and it would be nice to make it clear they're all always wlecome.

Dungeon_Lilly
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by Dungeon_Lilly » Wed May 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Hey Emma,
I think your ideas are great and i'd be happy to help.
<center>

I'm all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality

:tslug:

:dkpurpstar: :purpstar: :lpurpstar:

xanemicroyaltyx
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by xanemicroyaltyx » Sat May 21, 2005 9:03 pm

spoof wrote:I really like that idea, if we could get a workable rota that would be great. I know I'd have appreciated a personal PM.
I think that that will be my first aim. Ty to all the wonderous people who have replied on here already :D [and ty jomomma for doing such a great job with listing all of the newbies :D]. Looking at how many newbies there are it feels impratical to expect 10 or so people to pm all of them. I've noticed that there are a number of people on main who regularly reply to newbies in their first post. As there are only around 130 members of welcome wagon, a number who are inactive, I feel that some sort of recruitment might be a good idea. Alot of people seem unaware that this board/usergroup even exists, so I think raising awareness would be a good next step to make.
spoof wrote:One thing we could maybe do is send a little explanation of some of the long standing threads in each forum- like the epics in the arc and RW- and an invite to join them?
*nods in agreement*

I think that's a really good idea. I'm unfamiliar with the arc, so that would possibly be something that I wouldn't be able to do myself. Maybe people could nominate themselves to write a short explanation about a long standing thread that they use/are more familiar with?

Just an a few ideas.

emma xxxxxxxx
Last edited by xanemicroyaltyx on Tue May 24, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm

Maybe people could nominate themselves to write a short explanation about a long standing thread that they use/are more familiar with?
Yeah, that would work. I wonder if we could talk to deb or the admins about an ad in the forums to ask for people willing to do that?

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Tue May 24, 2005 7:29 pm

I'd be happy to help in any way.

Kazz
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Tue May 24, 2005 7:46 pm

Arc actually has a post about the long threads there, stickified at the top of the forum. viewtopic.php?t=76420. Some of the info on that might be useful.

I've just joined Welcome Wagon today. I'd love to help out in any way I can :)

xanemicroyaltyx
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by xanemicroyaltyx » Tue May 24, 2005 9:27 pm

hey mallie and kazz, thank for your replies :D.
spoof wrote:I wonder if we could talk to deb or the admins about an ad in the forums to ask for people willing to do that?
Yeah i think that that's a good idea [and i shall get onto it]. I've noticed that quite alot of mods have posted on here so I was wondering if deb/admin agreed with the idea of some form of 'ad' any mods who read this might like to help sort something out for their particular board? Just an idea.

I have a feeling that this could take a little while to get sorted out but I think that once it has been it will be really worthwhile :D.

I'm also looking into ways of recruiting people. What are people's views on placing some form of 'ad' on main? I'm not entirely sure if that'd be the best way to do it so feedback would be appreciated...

much love,

emma xxx

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Wed May 25, 2005 3:20 am

Well if we are doing that, I'd be happy to sort something out about the F/F section to PM new people.

I'd post on main, reminding people this place is here and asking people for help. :)

Kazz
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

Jomomma
board admin
board admin

Post by Jomomma » Wed May 25, 2005 5:00 am

if you need something written up for whatever idea, I would be willing to help out.
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Wed May 25, 2005 2:37 pm

I'm thinking that an 'ad' wouldn't really be that useful on most boards. On main and F/F definately. Probably RW and distractions, maybe life after. Things like coping, b&a, place and such it wouldn't be so useful, although I am more than happy to help sort something on coping, I'm just not so sure its the best place.

One problem with main is that things move pretty fast. If a post was made on there, perhaps someone could put the link here and various people could 'bump' it so it stays visible a bit longer rather than making it sticky/announcement ? I tend to often skip over the stickies personally, as I've read them all before.

Forget Me
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Forget Me » Thu May 26, 2005 1:20 am

hey, i'm new to WW, glad to help out in any way, shape or form!
<center>
<b>FISHY! WHY ARE YOU SLEEPING?!</b>
~"What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find."~
:o :o :o
Another Lonely Day
~~Laura~~
</center>

xanemicroyaltyx
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by xanemicroyaltyx » Tue May 31, 2005 9:57 pm

okay, sorry i haven't been around much recently, i've had oodles of revision but my exams are over next week.

my task for the next few days is to get an ad written up and send it to deb/admin and see what their views are on it. then i shall feedback here to let people know what's going on :D.

mallie- i agree what you're saying about the stickies, so i'm thinking that links and 'bump'-ing is a good idea :).

i shall post the ad here tomorrow/thursday.

i hope everyone's okay! xxx