Reasons for inactivity

for talking about the whole welcoming new people to bus project.

Moderators: Butterfly., Paws

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Reasons for inactivity

Post by Green Beauty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:14 pm

Hello and welcome, chances are if you are reading this thread it's due to the pm i have sent you. Thank you for taking the time to come here. As i said in the pm this is essentially a chance for you to give the reasons behind you becoming inactive around here, hopefully giving us a clue to what can be improved.

What i would like in replies if possible:

1) As stated above, the reasons behind your inactivity.
2) What, if anything, would have made it more likely for you to stay? What would you like to change? If you had complete control over the welcome wagon what would you change, would you want to change anything at all?

At the moment this thread will not be for discussion, just a place to gather all views of current welcome wagon members. So if at the moment it could just be focused on the 2 questions above, and at a later stage we can discuss.

Another thread had previously been made to discuss suggestions, that can be found here, this thread is really just a slight side track from that, as the main reason for this thread is to discuss reasons for inactivity, and although suggestions are welcomed, they are not essential, unlike the other topic.

Thank you.

Alex

*just to note if you came here due to the private message i sent you i have pm'd all welcome wagonners, not just you, except for a few that i know are currently active*

Omnia vincit amor
Member of the Welcome wagon
Shh be quiet, You might piss somebody off
Proud member and loyal spoon of OATS - Oldies Against Text Speak
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Skipping and a jumping, In the misty morning fog with, Our hearts a thumpin' and you, My brown eyed girl

ffcsquall24
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by ffcsquall24 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:42 pm

i have to be careful as to when i can check on all the stuff here on BUS due to my recent IP treatment my parents are worried that being on here will make me want to cut more when it fact it does just the opposite of that

it is/was nothing wrong with this part of the site or anything on this site at all its just i have other things that take up my time adn as much as i would love to be more active in such a great online community i just dont think i have enough time
Gender=Male
:100_days_si_free: :1_week_si_free: :1_week_si_free:
I like hugs!
*My Place* please read!
*My Poetry You will probably enjoy it!*
PBH I'm Here but I've already Lost
Please Click My Dragons!

ffcsquall24 is apparently a bus HOTTIE!

ffcsquall24 owns WDS and Haven and Chey and Kalayla oh and also Klove24 My army is almost done... muahahahahah

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:43 pm

1st reply recieved via pm.

1) Failed to recieve responses after sending welcome pm's.
2) Focus more on replying to new threads rather than pm'ing.

:)

Omnia vincit amor
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Skipping and a jumping, In the misty morning fog with, Our hearts a thumpin' and you, My brown eyed girl

amerylis
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by amerylis » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:00 pm

hi I used to be very active seding pm's to newbies and getting some amazing replies from them and more than a few friendships. however i just got a bit overwhelmed with emotional junk and it was too hard for me to write to people. i dont think any changes need to be made. x
~~Panda~~

6000 - 6999 - awe-inspiring Image

~my Place~ all welcome :D

To the world you are one person, but to one person you may be the world.

3 years SI free since May 2013
6 years SI free Jan 2007 - Feb 2013 with lapses in March/April 2013

blue butterfly

Post by blue butterfly » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:34 pm

hi i have become inactive for a while now because of my home situation but i am back now while I am online at my friends and I would like to contune.

Milvus
board admin
board admin

Post by Milvus » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:46 pm

Not long after I joined I became inactive on the whole board.
But mainly, I didn't know what to say in welcome PMs, and felt worried that I might feel obligated to be "friends" with people just based on that first PM, which I didn't think was fair on them or me, if I had no real interest in talking to them (which makes me sound like an arsehole, but I am not in the frame of mind for people who I don't know's emotional baggage)
Also, a lot of the time the PMs to newbies were being dealt with, when I was active on bus, and you said you didn't want to overwhelm them with too many. I tried to respond in intro threads, but, as I said, it was not long before I became inactive on BUS. Also, I have been told my post count is intimidating, and worried about that.
A nevem Corti és papírzsepi vagyok meg gumikígyó jövetele!

RickTheTwinkie
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by RickTheTwinkie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:51 pm

I have class and i'm applying to med school right now, so I'm not even on BUS except at rare instances. I don't forsee this changing.
rickthetwinkie

My Story

My Journal

Twinky
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by Twinky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:21 pm

I find it hard to know what to write in pms to newbies, and instead prefer to write welcomes in their first threads...

Bit of a rubbish excuse though I know :roll:
Love and Prayers
xxx

I should just fly away-Twinky's place

leemc77
postinating the countryside
postinating the countryside

Post by leemc77 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:32 pm

I agree - I don't really know what to say. I know others are welcoming them as wel - I don't want to overwhelm them or scare em off, but I don't want them to feel not welcome. I know when I joined, I remember being pm-ed by amerylis, who has become a great friend....but don't remember too much else. I know I felt a little nervous at first. Do we post on the "newbies" thread or pm? I've pm-ed and never heard anything back. Sorry for rambling. Let me know what is decided!

Thanks....and sorry!!!

Leeanna
My Place: Welcome to Dorkville
99 days til siy takes over the world

4/16/07 ~ We will never forget ~ Go Hokies!

welsh-one
post laureate
post laureate

Post by welsh-one » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:40 pm

I haven't been around BUS as I have been really poorly. When I have sent pms I have had no response at all so don't know if I am actually doing things right!

Love Polly xxx

Anactoria
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Anactoria » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:04 pm

I just never exactly knew how I could be involved. (Sorry, that sounds like a bit of a cop-out... but I'm really still a bit clueless as to the way that things work around here).

Scoots
welcome cow
welcome cow

Post by Scoots » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:42 pm

I try to pm the newest member when I see them at the bottom of the front page but normally I find that they have already had a pm sent to them when I check the pm to newbies thread and I don't want to bombard them with pms. I used to send a lot more pms a couple of years ago when I saw new members but since then I have got busier.

I do still want to be involved though.

acdcrocker1909
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by acdcrocker1909 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:48 pm

For the most part.. I have just become inactive with the entire board.. life got really busy, and I was never around..

I agree with what others have said about not being sure what to say in the pm.. mainly I'd jump in their first post and bring in my sarcastic self for a laugh or two, [plus lots of cows..]
It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live - APWBD.

Music is life.. we each have our own symphony.. and we control it for the most part.. sometimes instruments drop out.. and others join in.. but when the music fades and the symphony is done.. then we have created a beautiful, personal piece. - Me.

Less Traveled Roads <-- Everyone Welcome.

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm impressed by the amount of replies so far. Thank you. Just to let you all know that i won't be doing much with the responses i have recieved until mid january time. Mainly because i will be away for 3 weeks or so by the end of next week, but also it gives time for as many people as possible to reply. By mid january though i will view all the responses and try to gather together all the different views and work out what the next step should be.

Just some thoughts from another busser, recieved via pm. (posted with permission of course)
I used to be an active member of the welcome wagon.. now, not so much. the last few months have been really hard for me to reply as it is.. i would have a lot of trouble just finding time to send messages. i apologize if it sounds selfish, but everything just seems like it takes so much energy and stuff.

once in a blue moon i'll PM someone, on my own, if i can relate to something in their profile

i don't think i can actively PM people, but i do mention spammers in the welcome wagon forum..

i think you should make another message on main or other boards saying what WW does and if anyone would be interested.. because a lot of peope only stick to one board or are new and never read the old message.

Omnia vincit amor

recovering4me
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by recovering4me » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 pm

i mainy jump in on the imnew threads what else can i do? not trying to sound sarcastic but i'd like to be better at welcoming people. u can pm me if u have more suggestions for me so this thread doesn't go to OT.
Proud Member of NOB WHEATS
Not Old But We Hate Every and All Text Speak
Completely cut free since sometime in Aug, im not going back.
My Place
Sober since June 19
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
*grieving the loss of my little girl, Addie Leygh, RIP baby girl, mommy loves you*

falling...
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by falling... » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 pm

i joined when welcome wagon was inactive, then i never really came back. that and im busy
Last edited by falling... on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

krb87
growing roots
growing roots

Post by krb87 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 am

i joined just as i was about to leave bus. although ive still got my account and stuff, i never visit bus anymore. so thats why i'm inactive/wasn't active
::star:: :) Kylie :) ::star::

green
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by green » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:47 am

I have my own problems going on at the moment. I'm not posting much on the main board either.

I still think it might be easier to just PM people who make a first post. It would be more personal as you already know a little bit about them,and it would mean less PMs needed to be sent. I also think the "timetable" of who sends PMs on what day is a bit unecessary. I've never been part of that timetable and it has always worked okay for me. It just confuses people who are coming to the WW for the first time and makes it harder to just start sending a PM or two.
"Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way."
- Charles Bukowski, Gamblers All

Bright Eyes
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Bright Eyes » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:44 pm

I haven't really had a chance to become active with the welcome wagon yet. I don't have much time to be on bus in general right now. I need to look into how this all works a little bit more, when I have the time.

despair
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by despair » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:31 pm

I'm just kind of inacive with the whole forum, and don't have as much time as I'd like.