Ways mom can help?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

JustSmurfy
settling in
settling in

Ways mom can help?

Post by JustSmurfy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:10 am

I hope this is in the right place.

Anyway my mom knows about my self injuring and is very supportive. In my last therapy session we had some mother/daughter therapy and my therapist wanted me to come up with some ways my mom can help me when I want to SI.

I've come up with a few things and just wondering if your mom was really supportive and knew about your SI what would you want her to do to help you?
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly,
what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

*Smurfs Rule!*

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 pm

i'd just want her to be open-minded. if my mom knew i'd want her to understand how i felt and that i just need support. maybe if i felt urges to SI i could let her know how i felt or just simply say that i'm "in a bad mood" or something like that to hint to her what's going on so she would be aware. my mom and i aren't very close so i wouldn't want her to know anyway, but if she did that's probably as far as it would go.
not on BUS so much anymore- i do check PMs :)

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:58 pm

I wouldn't want my Mum to care. I know that sounds awful though

But, I know she does care so it makes me feel awful when I do SI as I don't want to upset her. It'd be easier if she didn't care

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by the edge of the world » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:37 pm

I agree with Rach. I don't want my mom to be hurt by it.

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Wandering » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:01 pm

For her to be prepared to listen. For her not to judge me for how I'm feeling, or to be shocked that I'm thinking of SIing, but just to accept it. To ask me what I'd like her to do right then, whether I'd like company or a hug or whatever. To feel that she's not gonna try to stop me if I ultimately did decide to SI.
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

karmeliet
settling in
settling in

Post by karmeliet » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:29 pm

For her to hold you and sit with you all night. My boyfriend did that for me once and I know that if I got along with my mother I'd apreciate it from her. Other ideas are not so actively about Si, but more trying to anticipate when you need to relax, take some time for you. That she gives you a certificate for a free sauna or massage at a health center nearby. Things like that.