Emotional rollercoasters

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Emotional rollercoasters

Post by strmdncr » Sun May 28, 2006 3:32 am

I have been diagnosised with ADD innatentive type, GAD, and the doctor at the walk-in clinic believes that I'm suffering from depression in addition to this which I agree with b/c of different symptoms and the like. The biggest problem I seem to be having though is emotional regulation, trying to keep myself on an even keel. I know that medication is supposed to help with that (once I get on the right ones) and I'm working with my T on exposure therapy to help with it some in terms of the anxiety part but what I'm looking for is thoughts and advice from everyday people, but especially people on here b/c when I go through mood swings from anxious to depressed to angry and back to depressed b/c of being anxious and angry I find my urge to SI dramatically increases. Does anyone else find that they have rollercoaster type moods and if they do, how do they deal with it?
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

Callisto
postmaster
postmaster

Post by Callisto » Sun May 28, 2006 3:39 am

I have rollercoaster mood swings...I tend to go from happy to anxious to depressed and lonely and then back again. The shift between moods is usually mere moments and isn't usually triggered.

as far as dealing with it goes, I'll have to come back to this tomorrow as I'm a little too tired to figure this out right now.

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Sun May 28, 2006 8:47 am

I've had really erratic mood swings in the past. It still happens to some extent, but not the way it did in the past, so I'm trying to remember old stuff rather than things I use right now.

A big thing for me was not allowing myself to self harm at the time. My shifts in mood were often when I was out, or was doing something so I'd totally rule it out 'for now', but allow it at a certain time - when i got home, or at night after dinner. Because my moods were shifting so much, by the time the allowed time came around, my feelings weren't so intense and the urgency was gone. That worked a lot for me.

These days, I'll shift really rapidly from okay to feeling quite irritable, seemingly out of nowhere, but I tend to be able to identify why (or at least a possible explanation) and with SI no longer in the picture, just being able to identify that there is a reason and I'm not totally irrational can help reduce the intensity of my feelings, even though it doesn't fix things or stop them from happening, it helps.

katja
growing roots
growing roots

Post by katja » Sun May 28, 2006 4:43 pm

I have REALLy bad mood swings over the stupidest things
My beta blocker tablets are good, and relaxation teqniqes.
When Im in a super good mood and I want to do crazy things, I need to have someone to calm me down and say "your just being manic" or when im like "oh my god, my rooms such a mess! im such a freak im gonna kill myself!" I need someon to say, just have a tablet and a cup of tea and be quiet for a bit.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sun May 28, 2006 9:57 pm

i have rollercoaster moods.

i try to calm myself down somehow, by either taking a deep breath and telling myself that it's going to be okay, or if i can, getting myself out of the situation.

it's really hard to judge what's going to set off a mood swing, but if you can think of ways to deal with it (like for anxiety = grounding yourself and trying to remind yourself that no, you aren't going to die in this situation) before it happens, it can help.

arg. i'm not too terribly good with advice giving.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: