SI: Self Injury, Self Indulgence

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Ticonderoga
one of us
one of us

SI: Self Injury, Self Indulgence

Post by Ticonderoga » Fri May 26, 2006 5:53 am

I've been clean for almost five months, but I'm having some pretty strong urges. My mom and sister in law are talking about our family history (which involves physical and sexual abuse), and I'm torn between staying and going outside.

I mean, I know I'm getting triggury, but... I kind of like it. It brings back those feelings of self indulgence that I experienced when I actually SIed. Like a comfortable hurt. I don't know...

Does anybody know what I mean...?
I was in heavon, I was in hell. Beleived in neither, but feared them as well.

squeegle_2419
settling in
settling in

chi

Post by squeegle_2419 » Sat May 27, 2006 4:18 am

umm no but ill say i do for the sake of your post
grack
what would a crazy person do without their shrink for 52 days.... do you want to see the end result of you leaving me?

black_23
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by black_23 » Sat May 27, 2006 8:15 pm

I think I know what you mean....The way I can relate (if ok to??) They repeated The Line of Beauty on tv the other night, I knew she si'd in it and i still watched it even though i knew i would effect me. But not cos i was being weird cos sometimes seeing it makes it real, makes me less alone, can wrap myself up in it and say yes thats how i feel sometimes. Hope that kinda makes sense?
'Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life' Picasso

'IS THERE NO WAY OUT OF THE MIND?' Sylvia Plath

My Poetry
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97459

My Place
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97307

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun May 28, 2006 11:31 am

I can understand that.

It's kind of like sometimes I like to looks through photos of my friends who died, or read some of my old place posts, to almost make myself feel bad, but at the same time justify those feelings.

I don't think it's uncommon, just try to keep safe.

:star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

ebmcs
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ebmcs » Wed May 31, 2006 2:53 am

I think.... that it has to do with safe and familiar. Sometimes when you live a certain way for so long, that feels like normal/baseline. And so even though it is sadder or harder or less healthy than today, there is still some sort of nostalgia to the familiarity. I'm finding that becoming healthier is liberating and terrifying all at once. Because I don't know what to do with the "stability" sometimes, it is "easier" to "regress."
Psalm 91, 107, 139

"Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy. I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry. <br>And so I wait for you. Jesus, you're all this heart is living for. <br>Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide. I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life."<p>

visit <a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... tart=0">my place</a>