Counseling

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Jessica
one of us
one of us

Counseling

Post by Jessica » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:14 am

I'm thinking about seeing a counselor at my college (not just about si but about some issues in general) and there's a part of their confidentiality statement about exceptions, and one of them is immenent harm to self or others: if a staff member has reason to believe that you are in danger of physically harming yourself or others. If I told my counselor about my si, would they be obligated to tell someone else, if so, who do they tell, and what would happen to me?

fallensun_rising
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by fallensun_rising » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:53 pm

hey

i think you're really brave for thinking about seeking the support you deserve.

my thoughts would be, it depends on where you are. in scotland, people under 16 but have a good understanding can consent to their own treatment or non-treatment and have their confidential things kept confidential (unless obviously you murder someone). the exception would be under the mental health act (which also applies in england). it says that if you are a big danger, they can get you into hospital. from what iv gathered from people in here, thats really really unlikely. you'd need to be pretty far gone for that.

in england, under 16 year olds don't have the capacity to consent, even if they know what they're talking about. parents can overrule decisions etc. maybe someone can explain it better, my knowledge of english law isnt too hot. you might find some guidelines on the GMC website (should come up in google).

who are you scared they'll tell? i imagine they'd ask your permission first. i imagine they wouldnt tell anyone that wouldnt be trying to support you too.

good luck n let us know how you get on.
'i will wash away your pain with all my tears'

Jessica
one of us
one of us

Post by Jessica » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:22 am

I'm 18, so I'm not too worried about them talking to my parents. I just would rather not get professional help for si, I just want to talk, you know? It's fine if they referred me to someone else, but I probably wouldn't go. I just don't want them to flip out and send me to a hospital or something. That's not what I want to see a counselor for. I just want to talk and have someone listen and maybe give me some real advice. I guess we'll see how that works out.

kermit
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by kermit » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:00 am

Could you talk to your counsellor about what sort of things they would have to tell people? I've always interpretated it as they would have to tell someone if you were SU or SI was exceptionally bad and potentially life threatening.
and tomorrow will come
When today is done...

"To me, photographyis an art of observation. It's all about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see, and everything to do with the way you see them."
- Elliott Erwitt

collide
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by collide » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:53 am

well since u are seeking counseling for other things i would go for it...the si thing, it's up to u to tell or not...and i also believe as someone else mentioned that if your SI was really bad or you are SU...then they would call someone...

viewtopic.php?t=89417 (my POETRY)
viewtopic.php?t=88288&start=420 (my PLACE)

collide

"life is but a box of chocolates, u never know what you will get"

"i'm not crazy i'm just a little unwell- MATCHBOX 20"

rin
growing roots
growing roots

Post by rin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:59 am

As far as I know, I'd agree with what everyone else says- especially since you're 18. I just finished taking a counseling course and I believe confidentiality extends to everything except if you were to tell your counsellor that you were going to kill yourself or someone else... so like everyone else said- major, life threatening harm which doesn't usually include SI.

I hope that helps, and good luck...

rin
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around" -vanilla sky

"There's got to be a change I'm sure
Today was just a day fading into another
And that can't be what a life is for..."
-Counting Crows

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:35 pm

I know in Michigan, in those cases the therapist, counselor, pdoc, etc. is required to tell the patient's parents.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

Jessica
one of us
one of us

Post by Jessica » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Even if the patient is legally an adult, 18 years of age?

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:45 am

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add that only if the patient is under 18. Because at 18, a person is legally responsible for him/herself.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

black_23
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by black_23 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:59 pm

I saw a councellor when I was at uni, in my 2nd year and she knew what I was doing and about su thougths, but never told anyone as far as i know. although the doctors were aware of it as was on anti-depr.
They seemed to keep it all confident though
'Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life' Picasso

'IS THERE NO WAY OUT OF THE MIND?' Sylvia Plath

My Poetry
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97459

My Place
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97307

HSUgirl
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by HSUgirl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27 pm

Well I am going to a counsel at my college and I told them about my SIing and it has stayed confidential. I think what they are talking about is if you threaten to kill yourself or tell them you are. Are if there is a possibility you might kill yourself. I was at first affraid to share because I thought the same thing.

Copasetic
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Copasetic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:51 pm

I went for counselling on my university campus, and that was also part of the confidentiality agreement. However, because I was so scared/worried about it, I just didn't mention SI at all (I was already terrified of being there - took me 3 weeks to even make the appointment, let alone go!). So maybe if you've got other stuff to talk about, you could start with it... and then slowly get into the SI if you have to. I don't know.

I only ended up going to a couple counselling sessions because the woman made me uncomfortable anyway, so I'm not much help. ;)
So this is the new year - and I don't feel any different...

HSUgirl
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by HSUgirl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:09 am

Yeah me too. It took me a while to even have the guts to call the counseling center and when I finally did I was very nervous. At first we only talked about me being depressed finally after like going 6 weeks or so I got the nerve to even mention dealing with the issue of SIing. But my counselor was very nice which was good.

amerylis
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by amerylis » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am

one way of finding out is to clarify at the start what is confidential this is what i did as i was under 18 when istarted counselling. i think i said something so hypothetically speaking if i was doing x would that stay confidential. maybe you could try that?
~~Panda~~

6000 - 6999 - awe-inspiring Image

~my Place~ all welcome :D

To the world you are one person, but to one person you may be the world.

3 years SI free since May 2013
6 years SI free Jan 2007 - Feb 2013 with lapses in March/April 2013