SAD

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

SAD

Post by disastercake » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:45 am

Well, I went to the dr a few days ago because I'm sick of being tired all the time, and he's running blood tests. He said that if the tests are fine, that it sounds like I have a mild case of SAD. I was just wondering what the usual treatment is for SAD, and how much it helps. Hopefully dealing with this will help me to quit SI for good.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

jaded melody
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by jaded melody » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:49 am

Wikipedia wrote:Full-spectrum bulbs, "light boxes" and "sunlight lamps" can be purchased as specialty lighting products for those suffering from SAD. These light boxes are many times brighter than regular indoor lighting and should be administered with guidance from a psychiatrist. Natural sunlight is considered to be the best source of light. [9]

The most validated of the light therapies is the use of a bright light box at a dose of 10,000 lux for 30-60 minutes daily. The eyes should remain open during this time, but not directly staring at the lights. The best time to administer the therapy is currently in debate. However, some find that daily morning therapies work well. The antidepressant effect of light therapy, like antidepressant medications, may take several weeks to take full effect. Some improvement should be noted within a week. Light therapy should be continued until natural daily light exposure becomes sufficient, usually till spring.

Medication is a more recent treatment and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have proven effective in treating SAD. Examples of these antidepressants are fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral), or paroxetine (Paxil). [10]

Several controlled studies have shown dawn simulation to be as effective as bright lights in treating SAD, with fewer side effects and greater convenience. A specialized control device called a dawn simulator gradually brightens ordinary bedside lights during the hour before the patient awakens. [11]
hope that helps
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:10 am

Thanks for that.

I still want to hear from people who have experienced it though :)
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place