Instrumental Piano Music as a Coping Method...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

{ Phoenix }
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Instrumental Piano Music as a Coping Method...

Post by { Phoenix } » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:20 am

I posted this on Main, too, but since it deals primarily with coping, I thought I'd put it here, too. ;)

I've realised that listening to solo piano music (just piano music, not piano with guitar or strings) really, really calms me and relaxes me. If I'm feeling like hurting myself, it all but vanishes the thoughts, which is incredible. If I'm feeling unsettled, it soothes me and helps me feel serene.

I know this isn't uncommon, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this kind of music? I already have several files by David Lanz (who is incredible), and some of the sonatas and such written by the famous composers. At the moment, I'm listening to two songs written by Keith Cantu, a local piano player who is only seventeen years old, but is already so incredibly talented that I think he's just as good as Micheal W. Smith, maybe better. <a href="http://www.myspace.com/keithcantu">You can hear one of his songs, Henriay, here.</a>

But does anyone have any other songs or piano players to suggest?

Thank you,
Catrina
<center>If you'll be my star, I'll be your sky.
You can hide underneath me and come out at night,
when I turn jet black and you show off your light.
I live to let you shine.

:blkstar: :blkstar: :blkstar:

~Please think twice about your replies before you post. Everyone here deserves respect.~
~Formerly known as DarkSkada / Talia Quietis~
~Cut-Free since December 4, 2003~
</center>

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:14 am

I really like Liz Story and George Winston.

also check out solopianoradio.com

morning_mist
growing roots
growing roots

Post by morning_mist » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:26 pm

Phoenix, you're so right ... instrumental piano music is great to listen to. I also love to play the piano when I need to decompress. Pounding on the keys doesn't hurt anyone, and it makes me feel much better. :)
One of my favorites (both to play and hear) is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata." Not just the first movement, which everyone knows, but the whole thing. It's beautiful, and so moving. At least, that's now I feel. It's a little dark and meloncholy, though, so maybe it's not what you're looking for.
Good luck with your search.

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:17 pm

I love delta goodrems music. 99.9% of her music is piano, but its also vocals and other instuments too, but i find her music amazing.
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

Addygrl
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Addygrl » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:05 am

I definitly agree with the piano suggestion. I actually play piano (thanks to the parents making me take lessons when I was younger), and I absolutly love music by David Lanz to help me calm down. Another composer I'm almost certain you would enjoy is Jim Brickman...his stuff is soo soothing, he has lots of variations on well known songs, such as a really calming version of twinkle little star....good luck with coping and I'm glad you found something that works for you :)

Addy
"Befriending a depressed person is a bit like hugging a porcupine. It might be painful, but that doesn't mean that the porcupine needs the hug any less"

My Page of Artwork (*SI Trigs*):

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my_si_art/my_photos

They're nothing amazing...just expressions of self :)

Reisu
post laureate
post laureate

Post by Reisu » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:02 pm

I only have one Piano-y song, called To Zanarkand. It's all plinky and nice. (But I like it mainly because its in final fantasy x :roll: )
(◡‿◡✿)
"I'M A DISGUSTING WORTHLESS BILGESACK ON THE GARGANTUAN TEAT OF A LABORING, LEPROUS MUSCLEBEAST. MY SELF ESTEEM IS SO SMALL, ITS EXISTENCE IS A MATTER OF CONJECTURE AMONG THEORETICAL PHYSICISTS. THE ODOR MY BODY MAKES HAS MADE POETS CRY. I UNFAIRLY PULVERIZE THE COMPETITION IN ASSHOLE PAGEANTS, AND I HAVE RECEIVED A LIFETIME BAN FROM UGLY CONTESTS BY PRESIDENT SHITFACE HIMSELF. MY BLOOD IS NOT FIT TO FLOW THROUGH A SEWER, AND MY SIGN IS A PICTOGRAPHIC SYMBOL THAT LOOSELY TRANSLATES AS "PLEASE HIKE THESE PANTS UP TO THIS GUY'S ARMPITS, CHAIN HIM TO A FLOGGING JUT, AND MAKE A FUCKING EXAMPLE OUT OF THIS SORRY SACK OF SHIT." WHEN I LOOK IN A MIRROR, MY REFLECTION SLOWLY SHAKES HIS HEAD WHILE I WET MYSELF IN SHAME."
(⊙‿⊙✿)