Help coping! Please tell your opinion!

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

silentway
one of us
one of us

Help coping! Please tell your opinion!

Post by silentway » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:09 pm

I was wondering how friend can be of help when coping with problems arising from SI. (Like fearing to be seen in T-Shirt).

What do you think how most people feel about seeing someone cut him/her-self or seeing the marks?

How important is it to know that there is someone excepting this way of dealing with life?

What problems in everyday life have you encountered? Have you met people that were afraid of you?

Sorry of this buch of question, but I really need to know.

red umbrellas
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by red umbrellas » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:43 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by your first question...but
What do you think how most people feel about seeing someone cut him/her-self or seeing the marks
Someone actually cutting themselves I think would disturb and upset most people...to see someone in that much emotional turmoil wouldn't be a good experience for everyone. The marks - I think that depends on the person. Some would be shocked and repulsed yes, but I think the majority would be sympathetic, if somewhat curious. Remember though, fr a lot of non-SIers, they may not even recognise what the marks are.
How important is it to know that there is someone excepting this way of dealing with life?
For me personally, it's not important at all. I don't *want* SI to be accepted, because it's not a very constructive way of dealing with/coping with my feelings. I hope for people to understand and support me, and encourage me not to hurt myself though, and that is very important.
What problems in everyday life have you encountered? Have you met people that were afraid of you?
Very people know about my self-injury, so I haven't encountered too many problems. Those who do know though, are not afraid of me...they've been supportive despite the fact that they generally don't understand why I've done it, and maybe scared of the fact that at points I've felt that it was the only way I could deal with things. More afraid *for* me than *of* me, I guess you could say.

Hope all this helped :)
It's all life and fire and lunacy
And excuses and excuses and excuses

Hold On To Yourself - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

"We paint a picture of a scenario - and then we become afraid of it" - Andrea Fella

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:48 am

What do you think how most people feel about seeing someone cut him/her-self or seeing the marks?
I think it varies greatly from person to person. Some people just shrug it off, others are curious but don't say anything, some ask questions, and a few just flip out. If it's someone he/she cares about it's a painful experience and somewhat shocking.
It's good sometimes, but I don't think SI should just be accepted. I'm not saying that no one should do it or that I look down on people who do. Because I don't. It's just that acceptance and expectations don't help.
Well, I've had the obvious problem of covering scars. Not many people know about my SI, and none of them have been afraid of me. A couple were concerned, but most just accepted it and didn't say anything.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

jamie28

Post by jamie28 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:44 am

why are you so worried about what other people think?

be yourself and don't worry about those unidentified "others"

jkamie