Long-term coping methods

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Long-term coping methods

Post by disastercake » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:51 pm

I cut last night for the first time in 17 days. For those 17 days, I used some of the coping methods I found on here. They worked for a while, but the urges just kept coming back. I am not going to let one slip deter me from my goal, and I was just wondering what I have to do to quit in the long run. What are some coping methods I can use, and how and when do I use them?

Any answers, ideas, suggestions, would be nice.

:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:15 pm

i think often it's a matter of doing things *again & again*. i don't think there's any coping method that's a 'do it once & things are fixed' deal. unfortunately.
most things... even very healthy & effective things... are repetitive. eg. crying, running, talking, drawing, etcetc.
it's a matter of choosing to use non-harmful coping methods each & every time you need to. doing them again & again.
i think too though that a lot can be done so you'll need to use them less often. eg. during really intense times you might watch cartoons or do somersaults. during less intense times you might run & cry yet not feel a need to keep going down your 'coping' list. & as thinking patterns & habits change things can be intense on a less frequent basis.

LilLizzieRae
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by LilLizzieRae » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:25 pm

i've quit cutting for four years and i never looked ahead and i still don't. i know this sounds very cliche but take each day at a time.

the coping mechanisms you're using that are working well use them. of course there is going to be times where the urges are more intense than others. when you get those you're probably thinking the coping mechanism you're using aren't working as good as they used to. but they are. it's takes a bit more strength to keep yourself from hurting when you get those big urges. i swear to you though, each day you hold back it gets easier. i don't know about you, but when i had those intense urges and i held back i was so proud of myself that i was able to do somethign that i thought i couldn't.

one thing i really want to say about the small slip. CONGRATS FOR NOT LETTING IT DETER YOU FROM YOUR GOAL! that state of mind you have right there is what you need to quit and i truly believe you'll quit. no doubt about it!

when you get those urges.. go ahead and scream, cry, talk to yourself, just let out all the feelings you're feeling. you know, make yourself LOOK like a crazy person :tongue: cause i know i sure did!! when i had intense urges i'd get tons of blank paper and use a knife or razor and slice them to pieces with all the anger i was feeling. i was still cutting but i wasn't cutting myself. one thing i think everyone should do when they're trying to quit and are having urges is to do something. don't sit there and allow yourself to think because all that does is make the urge worse.

good luck.
Elizabeth
self-injurer? CONTRIBUTE to a book.
http://www.pts.moonfruit.com

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:27 pm

LilLizzieRae wrote: CONGRATS FOR NOT LETTING IT DETER YOU FROM YOUR GOAL! that state of mind you have right there is what you need to quit and i truly believe you'll quit. no doubt about it!
that means a lot to me, and I'm very glad to have encouragement. It's nice to know that someone believes in me besides myself. :D
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place