homophobes

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

sombra-triste
one of us
one of us

homophobes

Post by sombra-triste » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:22 am

Hi, this is my homophobe rant/plea for help. i just reached high school this year, and so far its going alright. But, for a few years now, i've been BEST friends with a gay guy. Who has pretty recently become very open about his sexuality. He has a boyfriend, and doesn't hide it. But i'm really worried for him... theres so many homophobes in our school...in middle school, they were still homophobes, but they weren't as....active about it. Now we'll just be sitting on the grass outside, and they'll throw things at him, like apples. Things that can potentially do quite some harm if they actually hit. It breaks my heart, and it seems like he's found a way to cope with it, and it seems that his boyfrend has to, but i haven't. So far, my way is to make a hitlist, and then become the worlds most famous and feared homophobe murderer in the world, then plead insanity and find a nice padded institution. Unfortunetly, i really don't think thats going to work... and thinking about it makes me just want to break down and have a SI relapse again. I need a different way to deal with this, if it was happening to me, i could ignore it, but its not, its happening to someone i love. i've never met someone so fragile but so strong, and such a sweet person, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this. Ever. :cry:

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:31 am

Your friend, and you shouldn't have to put up with things like that.

If you're at school is there any chance of saying something to the staff at the school? They can't do anything to intervene if no one tells them the problem exists.

What about gblt support groups in your area? They might have some ideas, or at least be a place of reference where you and your friends can get some support.

Skyeler
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Skyeler » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:03 pm

hey,

I use to be the kid who got stuff thrown at him in hallways in stuff and that was before I came out... Now me and my ex boyfriend have FAG spray painted on the door of our old apartment....

In high school, my best friend use to get as disturbed as you are about it... and really as good as it feels to have someone get mad about what others are doing to you.... Violence and hate doesnèt solve anything....

You cna try to form a student alliance or soemthing.... or round table talks or try and get someone from PFLAG or something to come talk to your school.

If you ever need to tlak, I know how it feels, so just pm me or something.

Skye.

(and really.... I use to get Binders and chemistry books and soda cans and forks thrown at me.... I survived without any permanent physical damage.... I'm actually quite good at ducking now)

Most of the time I feel like I don't belong.
But I got my new favorite record today.
My favorites change every single day.
Except you,
You'll always be number one.
[/center]

Space_Man
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Space_Man » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:28 pm

sombra-triste wrote: my way is to make a hitlist, and then become the worlds most famous and feared homophobe murderer in the world, then plead insanity and find a nice padded institution. Unfortunetly, i really don't think thats going to work...

But seriously: Sorry…I’m actually at a loss for words… As you’ve realized, anger is not the way… feel sorry for them perhaps, but—if nothing else—don’t let their issues hold any sort of power over you & your life…

Skyeler wrote:(and really.... I use to get Binders and chemistry books and soda cans and forks thrown at me.... I survived without any permanent physical damage.... I'm actually quite good at ducking now)
Image Why are people (the homophobes) so moronic sometimes…? Image

magebaby
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by magebaby » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:06 pm

is there a college or university near you? almost all universities have some kind of gltb society that can provide support and maybe a chilled out and safe place to hang out.

a lot of places also have gltb crisis/counselling lines, so if you feel really down, maybe you could call one of those if you feel like SIing.

neither you or your friend should have to deal with homophobic attitudes. take care of yourself.

mage
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" --Nelson Mandela

No hugs, thanks

Skyeler
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Skyeler » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:22 pm

Space_Man wrote:
Skyeler wrote:(and really.... I use to get Binders and chemistry books and soda cans and forks thrown at me.... I survived without any permanent physical damage.... I'm actually quite good at ducking now)
Image Why are people (the homophobes) so moronic sometimes…? Image
Because, they're sad pathetic fuckers.

who are probably still living in Buffalo driving around in their shitty cars thinking they rock because they sneak in a 12 pack of beer into their frat house every Friday.
Last edited by Skyeler on Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Most of the time I feel like I don't belong.
But I got my new favorite record today.
My favorites change every single day.
Except you,
You'll always be number one.
[/center]

Arcadia
building community
building community

Post by Arcadia » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:48 pm

i dealt with it at college by shouting at anyone who said anything about him and talking loudly about how fucking stupid homophobes were. but then the majority of that year were alternative, he was popular and i was lairy, so it was an easy situation to cope with- minimal abuse etc.
"Does it really come as a surprise
When i tell you i don't feel good?"
- Garbage

My Place:
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... 28#3283228