advice please

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

rosie605
creating your space
creating your space

advice please

Post by rosie605 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:54 pm

so here's the deal.... I am a first year teacher. I had a student who is physically abused by his alcoholic mother and her boyfriend(s). He has major anger issues and lots of emotional issues. I find it hard to separate myself from his issues. Anytime we have to have a meeting about him, or I have to call his house... I am taken back to my childhood where all these things happened to me. I get to feeling sad, lonely, angery, anxious....triggered. Any ideas on how to stop this??

Thanks for listening

rosie
But the struggles make you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has its own way of takin it's sweet time
No, life aint always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
Life aint always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

"Teaching is the profession that makes all other professions possible."

http://lessonsoflife23.blogspot.com/

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:07 am

sry i don't have any advice as to how to stop those feeling from resurfacing...but i did read and i DO care. i hope things improve you, you'll be in my thoughts...i'm here if you ever need someone.. please take gentle care..

Love Always
little girl

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:18 pm

I don't know if it will help, but maybe just some self talk before you have to go into the meetings, or make the phone calls? Basically just telling yourself that things along the lines of "this is not my family" "I am an adult, and can control my life" "I do have choices" anything along those lines to help bring a degree of separation from the triggers. The other place to try and find answers on how to keep yourself separated from that is maybe call your local Al-Anon, or CAS group if there is one. They might have some good suggestions on how to take care of those kinds of things.
Whatever happens I wish you all the best, and think that you are very strong and brave in doing what you can to help this child knowing that it causes this distress within you. :bfly:
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

rosie605
creating your space
creating your space

Post by rosie605 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:22 pm

thanks for the suggestions strmdncr. I appreciate them:)
But the struggles make you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has its own way of takin it's sweet time
No, life aint always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
Life aint always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

"Teaching is the profession that makes all other professions possible."

http://lessonsoflife23.blogspot.com/