Help coping with death...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Scared_&_Alone
one of us
one of us

Help coping with death...

Post by Scared_&_Alone » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:54 am

I haven't SI-ed in almost 9 months but my Dad died a week ago today and now I really really have the urge to do. I don't want to because I don't want my mom to worry about that, expecially right now but I don't know what else to do. I need some help, can someone please help me.

~Dee
SI Free since 1/28/05

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:57 am

sorry you're going through that :(
what else have you tried? crying, running, writing, etcetc.... what are you looking to find by using si? sometimes if you can place what you want out of si... it's easier to match up alternatives...
by the way, welcome to the board :grnstar:

mydriasis
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by mydriasis » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Sometimes having to "stay strong" for someone else - in your case, your mum - can distract you and provide a reason to hold off from cutting. However, by doing that you're not dealing with your own grief. Of course, one of the most emotionally healthy ways is to talk to someone. Do you have any friends or family members you can talk to about how you're feeling?

There's always people on here who're more than willing to offer a friendly ear. I'm sure there's a lot of people who've been through this and will understand how you feel.

Take care. x
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

I have a heap of unused DeadJournal codes if anyone wants one! :o

Welcome Wagon member.

*Stella*
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by *Stella* » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:16 pm

Hi Dee!! I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. My mom died a few months ago. I know how hard it is deal with the emotions. The others have given you some good suggestions. Another suggestion is that you could go to the Place forum on this board and create your own place where you can talk about all your feelings and get feedback from people. I found it helpful to get suport from people on BUS and to be able to say anything I want. It really does help when I'm upset about my mom or anything else. Welcome to BUS, and I hope you are doing ok!
aubrey
:1flwrs:
<center>:redstar:<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... ">stella's place</a>:redstar:</center>
<center>Image</center>

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:30 pm

Hey,

Really sorry to hear about your dad, i hope you're ok. Right, you have gone so long now without SH and you're doing fab (well done!) I know it really is easier said than done, but do not start again. Imagine the pain your mum would feel if she found out? There are alot more ways of coping with your feelings than SI. Different things such as running, going out of the house (this creates a major distraction) spending time with your family, writing down how you feel help alot. Also, you could keep a diary of your feelings, it helps get stuff outta your system and stops you feeling as "isolated" as you're probably feeling at the moment.

Take care of yourself
MiStAkE x
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."