healthy rewards?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Martin
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

healthy rewards?

Post by Martin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:00 am

Does any one have some suggestions for safe, healthy rewards I can give myself? Food, like chocolate, works, but I tend to get some funny ideas about food if I use that too often. I'm guessing the best way to keep from abusing any one reward is to have a whole bunch of different ones. Ideas?

jamie28

Post by jamie28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:16 am

1. smells. anything you like the smell of. (some good incense or after-shave maybe?)

2. things that "feel" good. a new shirt with a nice texture, or even just a small square of silky cloth (or whatever) to rub between your fingers.

3. getting a book/movie/dvd/cd whatever (can rent them or get them from the library very cheaply).

4. a physical activity you like (for me, it's running)

5. phoning/e-mailing a friend just to talk.

if i think of more i will add them. these are just some of my favs.

jamie

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 am

I like little things that my responsible voice tells me not to do:

jump on a bed, do cartwheels, sleep in late, go singing in the rain...

When I am going to spend money I buy a book that I wouldn't have ordinarily, a CD or something similar. Recently I went to the ballet and I actually bought a souvenier.

They are mostly things that I always want to do, but I'm much too "sensible" for :roll:

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:13 am

Baths! My bath here is crap, so I shower, but when I really need comforting I go over to my sisters and have a nice long soak in the bath. Bubbles or oils or other yummy-smelling things definately help.

I tend to use food rewards too sometimes so I understand how this isn't always appropriate. Perhaps something like a special tea? You can get all sorts of wonderful herbal teas that are yummy and healthy and just having it put aside as special can make you feel like you're pampering yourself when you allow yourself to brew up a cup.

Picking or buying flowers - having fresh flowers in the house is pretty cool. It can smell good, and brighten up a room.

Mindpoison
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Mindpoison » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:20 am

-Taking a drive to the beach or some other place I enjoy that I don't go to frequently.
-Stickers. May sound kind of immature, but stickers make me smile so I reward myself with them somtimes.
-Sleeping late
-Getting a massage
-Taking a day off and just spending it doing nice things for myself
-I agree that scents can be rewarding...try looking into aromatherapy
-Baking cookies for me and my friends
-Buying myself a print of a photo or painting I like or having a photo I've taken enlarged and framed.
-Buying a new pair of socks (Nice soft socks on my feet is rewarding to me, anyway :D )
-Coffee/Tea/Hot Cocoa
-Get flowers sent to yourself
<center>

:purpstar: :purpstar: :purpstar:

It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler. </center>

jaded melody
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by jaded melody » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:30 am

let yourself do something you really love. even if normally your sensible side tells you you shouldnt. :)
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

BrokenGurl
growing roots
growing roots

Post by BrokenGurl » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:54 pm

I would just try to do anything that makes you happy..makes you smile even if you wouldn't even think of doing it normally.....go see a movie..take a nature walk...go for a drive to your favorite place....do things for yourself.... :star:
speak as though noone's listening....

Martin
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Martin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks for the ideas :)

reallycreamed
building community
building community

Post by reallycreamed » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:13 pm

i'm broke, so i don't go shopping, but i do throw a quarter in a jar every time i need to reward myself, and then spend that money on something fun eventually.

namaste,
b
:grnstar: circles and circles and circles again :grnstar:
:1cat: :100_days_si_free:

onlypurples
bus addict
bus addict

Post by onlypurples » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:42 pm

- a picnic for one at the park
- buy yourself fresh flowers or a potted plant for your room/ house
- do your nails or get them done by someone
- treat yourself to the ice cream truck or go get yourself a snow cone and go eat your treat outside as if you were a little kid again

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:05 am

brush your teeth with your favorite toothpaste flavour.

Chey

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:09 am

im afraid i have to use the non food ones. Sigh its hard though. I know no moderation.

Chey

heartonmysleave
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by heartonmysleave » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:13 pm

it's bizar, but I buy nice skin stuff, or use it. like a nicly scented moisturiser, or have a bath with bath oils...stuff like that. but thats just me. makes me feel better about my skin, and it feels like I'm looking after myself.

katja
growing roots
growing roots

Post by katja » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:01 am

if you go to a training college you can get manicures or massages or facials for proper cheap, like a few quid or summat. Even if its not a very GOOD manicure the experience of treating yourself can still be nice y'know. I dunno if youve had a facial before but they're truly amazing, most relaxing an refreshing experience ever!

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:16 am

I buy myself a really trashy celebrity magazine that I would never normally read.

I love handcream too. You can buy a pot and just put a little on when you need a treat.
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:14 am

I bought myself a yoga mat today and i am feeling good about it. I am resisting the urge to go buy icecream right now, have to say im succeding. When im not feeling so stressed i do want to go get a icecream cone *not a box of icecream* just cause i like tiger tail icecream and havnt had it in a very long time.

Chey