Guilt as an SI-deterrent? *SI* *SU*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

magebaby
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Guilt as an SI-deterrent? *SI* *SU*

Post by magebaby » Thu May 12, 2005 3:32 pm

sometimes i really really want to SI, and the reason i don't is that if anyone ever found out i would feel so guilty, partly for having SIed. but mostly because the people likely to find out would react in a "why didn't you come to me? is this something about me?" way and i don't want them to feel guilty for this. even if they are part of the reason i'm upset, SI is my choice of coping mech, and it's never anybody else's fault.

sometiems i feel that way when i feel SU, too. i really want to, but i don't want the people i love to think it's about them, or that there was something they could have done to help or whatever.

on some level, i guess anything tht's keeping me from SI or SU is a good thing, but the problem is it makes me feel even more down than i was before (this is true even when i feel SU) and i don't know where to go with that.

jsut wondering if anyboy else ever gets this.

take care all,
mage
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" --Nelson Mandela

No hugs, thanks

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Thu May 12, 2005 3:47 pm

I don't think guilt is a terribly useful deterrent for most things. But I often fall into the trap of thinking that foreseen guilt or feelings of shame should lead to motivation.

I think it can be a detterent, and can be useful to remember in the short term. To stop from SI-ing right now, but not for quitting overall. Staying away from SI long term, really needs to come from within yourself.

nika
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by nika » Thu May 12, 2005 3:47 pm

I've promised my parents that I will tell them afterwards if I SI and so far (five weeks since I made the promise) it's kept me from SIing many times. Imagining how it would feel to disappoint them, how they would wonder why I couldn't come to them ... so, yes, guilt works. But you're right, it's not ideal. :-? Not sure I have any answers.
Hello World. :)

twistddreamr
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by twistddreamr » Thu May 12, 2005 11:51 pm

I know what you mean. I have the same situation with my friends...a lot of the time I really want to just cut but I don't because my friends would be upset with me for not going to them instead. I think it can be a good thing and a bad thing, as you said. The guilt does make things worse sometimes, but try to focus on the fact that you have people that care about you and want to help...at least that's what I try to do. I don't know if that's much help, but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same place right now and I know how you feel.

As I search for the resolution...

"we're all just a little bit fucked up." ~Rob Thomas

"you have to earn your heaven." ~ Pop RIP

magebaby
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by magebaby » Fri May 13, 2005 11:29 am

i know it's not the healthiest reason to stop. i did stop SIing for me, but sometimes when i really want to SI or SU, i can't remember why i shouldn't, and that's when the guilt kicks in.

take care all,
mage0
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" --Nelson Mandela

No hugs, thanks

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sun May 15, 2005 3:59 am

if it were the only reason & remained the only reason... then i'd be a bit unsure... how healthy it was... & etc...
as an added reason when your other reasons become a bit shaky... imo it's a great thing.

eyeris
bus addict
bus addict

Post by eyeris » Sun May 15, 2005 4:26 am

Hey,
I just wanted to say that I think I know how you feel . . . I sometimes keep myself from SIing because I think about how I told my T the last session that I wouldn't do it before I saw her next time, and it'd disappoint her, etc., so the guilt sometimes stops me from SIing, but sometimes not at all.
As for SU, tremendous feelings of guilt for injuring my parents is the ONLY thing keeping me from SUing . . . I try to convince myself that once I'm dead, I won't have to deal with it, so it doesn't matter what they feel, but I can't get myself to get so selfish to not care, I still feel guilty . . . and this guilt makes me feel more depressed, b/c it's like living in a trap, living MY life only for OTHERS, not for me, not because I like living, not because I'd miss anything, but b/c I'd feel bad for hurting them . . . So yeah, I can relate.
Take care,
-e
"Subvert the dominant paradigm."