do rubber bands count?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

kate_
growing roots
growing roots

do rubber bands count?

Post by kate_ » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:40 am

I have heard people giving others advice about alternatives to cutting. One of the things was to put a rubber band around your wrist and everytime you felt the need to si, snap the rubber band as hard as you can. I've also heard that people can give themselves bruises by doing this. Is it another form of si? Or a good alternative? Just wondering what others thought...
:lblstar: don't go hiding in the shade. :lblstar:

i'm perfecting my emptiness

my place - The Good Side Of Bad <-- all replies welcome

erase me

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:31 am

I think this can be a useful coping tool, but I wouldn't want to use it too much. I have never given myself bruises with it (surprising, since I bruise easily), so I don't count it as SI...but I can see that some people might count it because the mindset hasn't really changed that much. For me, this would be a helpful tool during the quitting process, but I think I would need to replace it with a different way of thinking and coping for long term change. I guess I view it as "pain, but no damage" and I want to eventually get to the point where I don't have to use physical pain to cope. I am nowhere near there yet, though, so I will keep using the things that help.
Sorry this is so confused. I know I am rambling.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:56 am

I don't think it's si cause if you're using it to not cut then you're not trying to hurt yourself.

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:32 pm

I think its one of those difficult things. Mostly I would say it isn't SI and is an alternative, but it is still using a pain sensation to deal with how you're feeling, and isn't ideal. I would say it is better than more standard SI, and should be used as a step to becoming SI free rather than substituting. Just my opinion though.

It may help you, it may not. Alternatives are pretty variable in what helps which person.

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Wandering » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:44 pm

I think a lot depends on the mindset behind it - if you're trying to flick it "as hard as you can" and are leaving bruising, I would personally still class it as SI. If you're doing it in moderation, and not so hard that its leaving a mark, I would think thats a half measure to help during quitting - pain but no actual damage. However, I don't reckon its an ideal thing to be doing long term, as it is still using physical pain to diffuse an emotional/psychological situation.

However, thats just my opinion

Andi
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:31 pm

I used that as a coping mechanism at one stage but it found it not very helpful. I think it is a coping mechanism, but it can be abused and it is worth looking at other coping mechanisms first or in addition to that.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

shadow of a smile
building community
building community

Post by shadow of a smile » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:35 am

kate, thank you so much for asking this question! it's something i've thought about myself. as for my personal opinion---i have none! i can't decide. so i'm with you. i'm so glad you asked this. i don't really see the distinction between what's SI and what isn't, when it comes to rubber bands.
i accept hugs!!!

my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness
1 Corinthians 12:9

my place

rin
growing roots
growing roots

Post by rin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:31 pm

Hey Kate... Personally I think this a *good* coping mechanism if it is stopping you from doing damage that would be worse... sort of like harm -reduction. However, I agree with what others said- it really depends on your mindset. If you're feeling like you can't possibly make it without *something* and you are trying to help yourself... or if it is just becoming a different form of self harm.

I think that there are other, healthier coping mechanisms that may be better in the long run to try first, if that makes any sense.

:redstar: rin.
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around" -vanilla sky

"There's got to be a change I'm sure
Today was just a day fading into another
And that can't be what a life is for..."
-Counting Crows

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Something I only thought of after I posted last time, was that I can recall it being used directly as SI would. My little sister used to do this, for almost the exact reasons that I SIed. I explained this to her, that it was just like my cutting, and was an alternative often suggested for when people were trying to wean off SI, but I don't think she quite understood that at the time, but does now.

-Kel-
building community
building community

Post by -Kel- » Tue May 17, 2005 8:34 am

tecniquly (sp?) it is coz yr still hurting yourself, but in reality its safer than cutting.

claire
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by claire » Wed May 18, 2005 2:05 pm

i woudl say yes using an elastic band is si ... but that is only in my opinon ... i didn't actually know that people used it as an alternative to si when they are quitting ... but i guess i used it as a tool ... okay i take it this needs a trigger now perhaps ... well better safe than sorry

*trig*
basically, i flicked my wrist during times when it was too obvious to cut. i fractured my wrist a while ago during a maths exam. i

so yes, becuase of my personal experiences and whatnot, i woudl say that it is a form of si for me. but for others who use it when they are trying to quit and don't hurt themselves internally, iw oudl say its not ...

hmmm i'm a bit of a rambler sorry

superscoob
one of us
one of us

Post by superscoob » Wed May 18, 2005 2:44 pm

I think it is a form of SI but it isn't doing as much damage as other methods. I think it would be a good alternative to help someone stop SI'ing.
If you love something, give it away