Taking care of yourself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Semiramis
settling in
settling in

Taking care of yourself

Post by Semiramis » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:19 pm

I feel unworhty of many things lately. Especially when it comes to taking care of myself. For example I had very dry skin (especially face & hands) last week when I was in holidays. My mum said that it looks ugly and I should put some hydrating lotion on it. I refused to do it, I said I don't like lotion. But actually I felt that I am not worth it to care for myself like this. I feel like I am already spoilt enough. I have an easy life, so many people would envy me for all I have, I really should be happy.
I don't deserve the things I have. And I shouldn't spoil myself even more by putting lotion on my face and doing unnecessary things like that.
I have always felt undeserving of the things I have, but some time ago I put lotion on my face every day. And I didn't think much about it. If I had eaten too much and felt ugly and fat though, I didn't put on the lotion because I was angry with myself. Is this some sort of self-punishment?
Does anyone of you do similar things? Any thoughts or advise on this?
Not putting lotion onto your face is not bad and it is not a problem, but I am just wondering where these feelings come from and why they have increased. I know no one of you can answer this question, but maybe you have experienced something similar.
Thank you for reading!
Semiramis

:star: It was as if what I wanted to kill wasn't in that skin or the thin blue pulse that jumped under my thumb, but somewhere else, deeper, more secret, and a whole lot harder to get at. :star:

from The Bell Jar by Silvia Plath