Night distractions

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

peanutbutter
building community
building community

Night distractions

Post by peanutbutter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:46 am

I have a lot of trouble with SI urges in the middle of the night after going to bed. I feel like I am stuck in bed and miserable. All I can think of are bad and horrible things. I don't seem to be able to get up and do anything and if I do I tend to SI.

Anyway, I recently put a box of things by my bed that I can do in bed without having to get up.

EX: logic puzzles (put me right to sleep), silly putty, pen and pad of paper for if I feel like writing, good book, New Yorker calendar of cartoons, silly things I found around my room that make me laugh, nice letters or notes I have gotten from people.

Even if I don't actually look at anything by my bed it still seems to help me feel better.

PB
"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind."

Deep thought

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:20 am

Its great that you've arranged something that helps you cope with your night urges. Thanks for sharing :)

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:05 pm

thanks for this post , very much needed, i also struggle at night time when my parents go to bed or if i wake up in the middle of the night from a bad dream . and i think if i keep the box besides my bed and have stuff to help me cope at night so i wont wake up my parents cause my mom doesnt like for me to stay awake till late, but i cant help it some times so i think im going to try out your idea. i have an emergency box for when ever i have urges but i will totally going to redo mine over now that i saw this post. thanks so much for this idea its a great idea!

love always maria

Kyra
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Kyra » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:23 am

I thank you also..I find at night my mind races, I stress out then I want to SI...I need to find a group of things to "do" that won't disturb everyone else here yet keep me busy also..

K.