Dissociation/depersonalization

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Bateau ivre
creating your space
creating your space

Dissociation/depersonalization

Post by Bateau ivre » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:30 am

Can anyone who suffers (or otherwise know about them) from these symptoms tell me about them and how they cope with them personally?
<P ALIGN=CENTER>Image
The only way out of hell is through it.
My place</p>

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:19 pm

for depersonalization: say to yourself 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. that really helps. also saying your name, age, address, today's date, who you live with, what job/school you go to, where you're going/what you're doing right now - can also help.

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:05 am

The things that limestone said are good. Personally the symptoms for me are that I feel like I am watching a movie from outside myself, I feel like things aren't real like when I am in a croweded hallway at scholl (it happens alot there) I feel as though I could walk right through people, as if nothing were real. Also I remmeber that people will talk to me, and I will stare at them, moments later I think, "man they are talking to ME, they can see me, They think I'm here." sometimes I feel liek I am a person sitting inside a person.
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:06 am

I'm actually stuck in a place where I'm feeling pretty cut off from things at the moment, and am yet to find anything that can get through it [but this is not quite the same as full dissociation, just a disconnection]

Apart from the suggestion that limestone gave (which is a really good one when things feel really unreal), there are some more ideas on grounding in Laura's Scarily VAST list of coping strategies. It is a wonderful list, all subdivided. Just click on Grounding at the top and it'll pop you down to that section :)

Personally, I find talking to people (IRL) can help. Being able to see, hear, and have physical comfort from them can be a big help.

Hope you find solutions that suit you.

beachgirl
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by beachgirl » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:15 am

I found this thread when I went looking for things to help me feel more grounded. There is some comfort to know that others are doing the same thing, although I really wish none of us were.

Mallie - I think I am feeling sort of like you describe. Disconnected from the world, almost as if I am numb and can see everything but not feel it. It is most uncomfortable and I find that I can do very little when I am feeling like this. I feel so tired and sleepy with this - but I tend to sleep as a way to escape life, so that might be why.

The worst part (as you might be able to tell from reading this) is how incoherent my thoughts seem. I can almost see the words swirling around me, but none of them want to stick together into anything that makes sense. And last night, it got worse until I felt very little and scared.

If you find anything that works, will you let me know?
Susie
We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

My place: A Little Camouflage and Glue

*Official Card Carrying Member of Club Konfusion*