Canadian therapist question (no trigs)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Thunder_chey

Canadian therapist question (no trigs)

Post by Thunder_chey » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:01 pm

Hey does anyone know if we have to pay for therepists here in Canada? My doctor gave me a referal to someone who lives in a rural part of my province, about a 30 minut drive in the country. Away from the city of Hamilton. Now I am visualy impared so I dont drive. how the #$%^ am I supposd to get there? Anyways I was wondering if I have to pay to see a therapist and where do I go find one? Can I find one without a referal from my doctor? I dont even like my family doctor cause she dosnt take me seriously. Anyone know any doctors in Hamilton Ontario who are taking patients? Sigh.

Enough of my ranting, lol gota get ready for work.

Chey

splitimage
board admin
board admin

Post by splitimage » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi there,

It depends on what kind of therapist they are. If they are a psychiatrist, they are covered by OHIP.

If they are a psychologist, social worker, or any other type of therapist then they are not covered by OHIP. Registered psychologists are generally the priciest $160/hr is not unusual but some will have sliding scales.

If you go to the Ontario Medical Association website they have a search function that allows you to look for dr.'s who are taking new patients.

Good luck.

--splitimage
"Don't go searching for a mermaid son, unless you know how to swim."

from The Mermaid - Great Big Sea

My blog is offline and has been down for a while due to a problem with the Isp and my web master. Working on rebuilding it.

Thunder_chey

Post by Thunder_chey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:48 am

Thanks for the info. Just curious though what is the difference between a psycologist and a phsyciatrist?

Chey

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:57 am

Have a look at this post, might help.

Generally, a psychiatrist will deal with meds, and a psychologist with talking therapy, but it can vary a little. A psychiatrist must be a trained medical doctor, but a psychologist neednt be a doctor.

Some psychiatrists do talking therapy as well, it depends on the person.

Good luck on your search.

splitimage
board admin
board admin

Post by splitimage » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:51 pm

This is a link to the College of psychologists in ON.

http://www.cpo.on.ca/AboutCollege/College.htm

There's a referal service through the ON psychologist's Association

http://www.psych.on.ca/docs/bpwebsite.a ... OPA_public

The center for addiction and mental health also has lots of useful information.

www.camh.net.

--splitimage
"Don't go searching for a mermaid son, unless you know how to swim."

from The Mermaid - Great Big Sea

My blog is offline and has been down for a while due to a problem with the Isp and my web master. Working on rebuilding it.

Thunder_chey

Post by Thunder_chey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:57 pm

Thanks for the links. im checking them out now.

Chey

Thunder_chey

Post by Thunder_chey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:58 pm

I called looking around for a new GP as well. There are only 3 currently accepting new patients. One works just near my work so I like that.

Chey