Wanted to hurt someone else

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Wanted to hurt someone else

Post by marylou » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:29 pm

Be careful, possible trigger

So had the strangest experience yesterday. I was hanging out at church and talking to lots of people etc when I saw, over someone's shoulder, these guys hugging (no one in particular). The thing was I could see this persons hand across the other's back and all his veins were really pronounced and dark. I was trying to talk to people, but I was so distracted. I just wanted to take a knife to this person hand/veins so much. I wanted to see the blood pour out his veins and go everywhere. Normally my SH is more about the pain and not the blood, but this urge was just about blood. And because I knew it wouldn't hurt me, it would all be gratification (if that makes sense). It was scary and I was totally freaking myself out! Eventually I just had to walk away and be alone and breathe for a bit.
I've never had that before, and I'm not into fighting and stuff. But the urge to knife not particuarly the person, who's a good friend, but the urge to knife the veins was soooo strong. Stronger than some of my own urges to SH. I'm really paranoid that it'll come back and I won't know what to do.
"You loosen my chains and just ask me to trust you. But it's so much easier this way, even though I know that I am bound."

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:05 pm

I can relate in a way. Seeing prominent veins in other people can trigger me. I don't actually have a desire to hurt someone else, but I can imagine how 'nice' it would be to easily cut into and see blood come straight from the vein.

I don't know how to make such thoughts go away, but reassuring yourself that you aren't going to hurt other people might be a good place to start.

It does sound scary, I hope you don't have to deal with that again.

Ruby Tuesday
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:18 pm

I too get triggered my seeing other people's veins....not all the time, but sometimes, like mallie says, I think about the blood etc, as if it were me, not hurting someone else. I think you did the best thing removing yourself from the situation and just trying to relax.
"I saw spiders where there were no spiders" - patti smith
"'My hands', she said, 'I've left them somewhere and now I can't find them.' She was holding her hands in the air, helplessly, as if she couldn't move them.
'They're right there', I said, 'On the end of your arms'
'No, no', she said impatiently, 'Not those , those are no good anymore. My other hands, the ones I had before, the ones I could touch things with.'" - margaret atwood

place

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:58 pm

Thanks for replying! That alone reminds me that I'm not crazy and alone in this. And for you support and encouragement. Cheers!
"You loosen my chains and just ask me to trust you. But it's so much easier this way, even though I know that I am bound."

noldo
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions

Post by noldo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:20 am

mallie wrote:I can relate in a way. Seeing prominent veins in other people can trigger me. I don't actually have a desire to hurt someone else, but I can imagine how 'nice' it would be to easily cut into and see blood come straight from the vein.
I totally agree with that. Thinking exactly the same thing. Just try to go away from that person or look elsewhere, try to distract yourself... at least that's what I'm doing in such a situation.
sig and avy made by wonderful wds

My Place (replies, hugs, stars welcome) My Art (comments very welcome) My PBH Thread (replies very welcome)

English isn't my native language, please bear with me.

You always deserve help. It doesn't matter if you already made progress; it doesn't matter if someone else has it worse; you deserve help.