Taking sleeping meds

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Taking sleeping meds

Post by marylou » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:00 pm

Just started taking meds to help me sleep. They're meant to be like crazy herbal stuff that is all natural etc.
I've been taking them for a week now, I started them because I used to force myself to stay awake until I passed out with exhaustion and therfore didn't SH.
I've don't know how much difference they are making. But I've noticed that getting up in the morning is harder, like I'm waking from a deeper sleep. And also I get tired earlier, like at 5pm I start getting sleepy.

Does anyone have any experience? Any advice on meds?
"You loosen my chains and just ask me to trust you. But it's so much easier this way, even though I know that I am bound."

Bateau ivre
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Bateau ivre » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:19 pm

Are you actually going to sleep earlier on the meds or do you still try and stay up?

If you are going to bed at a normal time and still wake up tired, perhaps the dose is too strong. You could try taking half a dose or looking for a pill that weaker.

Hope it all works out for you either way.
<P ALIGN=CENTER>Image
The only way out of hell is through it.
My place</p>

TwistedVision
creating your space
creating your space

Post by TwistedVision » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:53 pm

yea... for me at least, they dont help me get to sleep, they just make it so i stay asleep

so i need to be really careful about what time i take them, and what time i fall asleep, if you wake up before they ware off, youll probobly still be tired and only half-awake like,

my only suggestion i guess would be to either take less, or take it earlier

just my 2c

sleeping meds...

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:32 am

i've took sleeping meds. i've took melatonine, and now this priscription drug named risperdol. i don't take either any more because i was experiencing the same effects as you are. i would go to school and totally spaze out. i could not keep my eyes open it made me so exhasted. the worst thing is that it didn't really help me sleep at night. i don't know...thats just my experience...

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:09 pm

I try and go to bed at the same time as before, and take the meds no more than half an hour before. I think I'm getting to sleep a bit quicker and it definitely is a deeper, like proper unconscious state, kind of sleep.
Before I'd just lie in bed fighting the urge to SH until I passed out hours later, now I pass out sooner, or at least that's the idea.
Thanks for your advice, I'm gonna try taking less. I can't stand being this spacey all day!!
"You loosen my chains and just ask me to trust you. But it's so much easier this way, even though I know that I am bound."

i_have_a_secret
creating your space
creating your space

Post by i_have_a_secret » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:35 am

you sound like me when i started taking my sleeping meds. what are you taking do you know what it is. some do take awhile to get use to. like with my meds after i got use to it it didn't help me anymore.
i_have_a_secret
Hang my head low 'cause it's part of me
Ya hardly see right next to the heart of me
Heard of me the routine scar
New cuts cover where the old ones are
I can't stand the sandpaper thoughts that grade away on my sanity
Cut myself free willingly through
Stop just what's killing me

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:02 pm

Maybe you need some more time to get used to the meds, they could be quite strong.

Try to sleep earlier. E.g. Go to bed at 9pm if you have to wake up at 6am. If you take the meds and go to bed at 1am, and then try to wake up at 6am, you will feel tired because the meds send you into a deep sleep so it would be harder to wake up.

Good luck with the meds,
Love,
Hannah :) :1hug:
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:12 pm

Hey!

I'm taking herbal stuff (you can buy it without prescription) called SuNerven. I can't remember what exactly is in it, but it says "natural remedy containing with a sedative effect to help the stresses of modern life and aid natural sleep"
"the stresses of modern life" haha. It's such a funny turn of phrase, it makes me laugh.

Had the best sleep last night. Went to bed pretty early for the weekend, and slept until one o'clock this afternoon!!!

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:16 am

I'm puzzled as to why you're actually taking them. They're meant for a last resort. If in your orignal post you were controlling when you went to bed, then you can control it in a different way. Plus from what you describe, it sounds more like if you did a lot of exercise in the morning then by the evening you'll naturally fall asleep.

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:14 pm

I started taking them because I used to use staying awake as a coping method. At night I want to SH more, and I used to not be able to sleep because of the urges. Other than actual SH, the only other way I could get throught he night was to force myself to stay awake doing other stuff until I was exhausted and passed out, meaning I couldn't SH.
The problem it that I'm not getting nearly enough sleep and spend my days constantly exhausted. I visit friends and just fall asleep on their couches...
It's not a healthy way to live, depriving your body of sleep. Plus if your body is exhausted, your immune system is weaker so I kept getting sick. SO, my T suggested I get some help with sleeping. So I take these pills and they cause me to pass out sooner, thus giving me a precious two or three hours sleep.

I wish I could do exercise, but my body isn't physically strong enough just now because I have been depriving it of sleep. I would just collapse with a nervous exhaustion type thing.

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:56 pm

marylou wrote:I started taking them because I used to use staying awake as a coping method. At night I want to SH more...
^^ having urges that are bad at night is natural as the levels of serotin (can't spell that word) are lower at night. taking that into consideration it can help to be kind to yourself. I can understand your not feeling well enough to sleep (been there) but as soon as your sleep improves exercise I find for me can really help sleep.

what are you doing to deal with the si urges? and what are you doing about the underlying causes for your si?

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:08 pm

I don't "deal" with my urges, I ignore them and hope they go away. I sit it out, sometimes.
I'm seeing a T once a week to help with the issues. It's kinda helpful, but such hard work and I feel even more tired than ever...

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:42 pm

marylou wrote:I sit it out, sometimes.
what do you do whilst sitting it out?

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:49 pm

Sometimes I do uni work, laundry, watch a movie, call friends, go shopping, meet friends, visit my sister, read a book, write on myself with red pen, take a shower...
Other times I do just sit it out, literally.