Drawing on yourself?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

artichoke
town councillor
town councillor

Drawing on yourself?

Post by artichoke » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:36 pm

Does anyone else get comfort from drawing on yourself? I was having a really frustrating time in class on monday night. I felt really really wound up and tense. I was clenching my hands, grinding my teeth. I ended up drawing a black X on my thumb and it was very comforting. I've actually ended up re-drawing it every day this week (including about an hour ago).

I dont' know why this is so comforting for me. Any thoughts?

artichoke

EllemyshShade
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by EllemyshShade » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:55 pm

Yes, actually! I think that drawing helps you because it is letting you "reclaim your body," in a way. I know my SI many times used to be about control. I also take comfort in doodling on myself. :)
:bluestar: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. "

J. Krishnamurti :bluestar:

GrassHopper
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by GrassHopper » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:24 pm

I draw in the lines on my knuckles with red pen helps alot of the time
There's always some reason to feel “not good enough”
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction, oh beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:46 pm

Yeah I used to do that a lot. Drawing on jeans was kind of good too. I don't know why it works, maybe it helps you focus, maybe it's a somewhat simalar action to SIing. At any rate it's great you were able to find a good nonharmful coping mechanism. And thanks for posting this, I had forgotten about doing that, haven't done it much since I was in high school, I might throw this in my bag of coping tricks.
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:47 pm

Yeah I used to do that a lot. Drawing on jeans was kind of good too. I don't know why it works, maybe it helps you focus, maybe it's a somewhat simalar action to SIing. At any rate it's great you were able to find a good nonharmful coping mechanism. And thanks for posting this, I had forgotten about doing that, haven't done it much since I was in high school, I might throw this in my bag of coping tricks.
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank

splitimage
board admin
board admin

Post by splitimage » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:04 pm

Yes, I do that too. I found that when I was first stopping SI it was the most helpful thing I could do to keep me from SI'ing.

--splitimage
"Don't go searching for a mermaid son, unless you know how to swim."

from The Mermaid - Great Big Sea

My blog is offline and has been down for a while due to a problem with the Isp and my web master. Working on rebuilding it.

aroobixcube
creating your space
creating your space

Post by aroobixcube » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:49 pm

i draw on my body what i think so i dont have to permantly hurt myself after so many scars. there not nice things, but they release the anguish i have on myself.
We learn who we are as the result of coming to terms with our experiences, combining them with the beliefs and attitudes that we have gained from others.

http://reccuperation.tripod.com

support for Self-harmers and their friends and relatives.

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:54 am

I do that too. I don't nkow why but it makes me feel... better. Maybe it's because it's my body and by drawing on it myself I am claiming it. It's strange, but it does work, and recently I've found myself drawing on everything at school. Especially me. I draw on my books, pencil case, hands, - everything.

Hannah :)
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>

Zebraseal
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Zebraseal » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:39 pm

Yeah, I even used to do that long, long before I'd ever SI'd. Red lines never worked for me even if many people say they do, but a big black marker with which to write on myself is good. I sometimes write "LEFT" on my right hand and "RIGHT" on my left, because that somehow sums up the feeling of wrongness I get. I know it's silly but it works for me, and it doesn't hurt.

Um, but there is the danger of blood poisoning. All of you aware of that? It's very very rare, but if anyone of you use a permanent marker on yourself and see a line that "draws itself" under your skin along a vein, growing day by day, see a doctor immediately, ok? Because that's dangerous.
Without SI since Nov 6, 2004.

Sleep. Wake up.

pink_flower
building community
building community

Post by pink_flower » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:41 pm

i sometimes draw on myself with red pen, it helps me control my urges sometimes which is good
xxx
I'm looking for backing for an unauthorized auto-biography that I am writing. Hopefully, this will sell in such huge numbers that I will be able to sue myself for an extraordinary amount of money and finance the film version in which I will play everybody.
David Bowie

Soon you will see.
All of your fears will pass away.
Safe in my arms,
you’re only sleeping.
Annie Lennox-Into The West

Lets boogie!

thatonechick
creating your space
creating your space

Post by thatonechick » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:03 pm

I draw over my scars with a red pen sometimes.

Angl06
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Angl06 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:14 pm

I draw on myself and it helps a lot. I just stop worrying about w/e is bothering me. I never really thought about it w/ SI though. I remember reading something about drawing on yourself or using fake blood to help urges. I thought that was weird just b/c it would make me want to SI more. But drawing on myself does calm me and comfort me

artichoke
town councillor
town councillor

Post by artichoke » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:58 pm

Wow, really interesting insights from everyone. I can definitely relate to "reclaiming your body". Now that I haven't re-drawn my "X" in a few days, when I look at that spot, it seems bare. I have my class again tonight, but I feel a little more relaxed today. It's good to know though, that I have a way to cope if necessary.

artichoke

nirnaeth_arnoediad
one of us
one of us

Post by nirnaeth_arnoediad » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:46 pm

Hey, I just found this place and this is my first post!

I used to draw a cross on my knuckle in black pen. It helped.. I have no idea why... sometimes I used to press really hard with the pen so the skin around it got all red... if I ever get a tatoo thats what it would be!

Zebraseal
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Zebraseal » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:17 pm

Hello, nirnaeth_arnoediad, and welcome! Have a welcome cow: :moove:
Without SI since Nov 6, 2004.

Sleep. Wake up.

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:09 pm

Hi and welcome to the board. I never really drew on myself, but I certainly scriblled on paper a lot. I also used to draw black and red crosses and write all sorts of words usually on top of one another. It was quite soothing.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

Eowyn
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Eowyn » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:45 pm

I don't draw on myself as often as I write on myself. I write the words that I would cut on myself if I SIed in red pen. They sum up how I feel about myself at the time. Sometimes I draw lines. I can definately relate to the idea of it being to reclaim my body. Sometimes it stops the urge to SI and it's very soothing.
I want an arm that doesn't bleed...
Instead of crawling on my knees and feeling scared
Won't back down- Kato

With you I'm washed as white as the snow
And all crimson stain becomes just a shadow
You know I would be blind without you
So light up my way to find my way home again
All the way- Delerious?

nirnaeth_arnoediad
one of us
one of us

Post by nirnaeth_arnoediad » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:11 am

ooh a welcome cow! thank you... i drew the cross again today.. have no clue why it helps.. i'm kind of frustrated cause my friend broke my elastic band yesterday and I can't find another one! i need it to cope at home but he was right to break it cause i using it as an excuse to SI in school which i hadn't done before... i got a really low grade in a math test so i snapped the band really hard for each percentage that i should have got which was alot so my wrist was really red... so since i haven't got that anymore i've been drawing on me all day.. gets harder in the evening though.. but its been 3 days and i don't wanna give up now...

i_have_a_secret
creating your space
creating your space

Post by i_have_a_secret » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:39 am

as long as it looks like blood i find some comfrot in it. if i find the right pin od marker it may hurt a little dpending on the sharpeness.
i_have_a_secret
Hang my head low 'cause it's part of me
Ya hardly see right next to the heart of me
Heard of me the routine scar
New cuts cover where the old ones are
I can't stand the sandpaper thoughts that grade away on my sanity
Cut myself free willingly through
Stop just what's killing me

ninetails390
one of us
one of us

Post by ninetails390 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:48 pm

I draw blue or purple crosses on the backs of my hands a lot. Especially my right hand, cause it's a sort of spiritual symbol to me. And sometimes when I cut myself I'll use a red pen to scratch at my wrist just to give myself the illusion that I'm doing more damage than I really am, so I calm down faster without badly hurting myself.
Stained Glass Life
~*~*~
I watch from a distance
As my life is shattered into pieces,
It crumbles down before my eyes
And leaves no traces of what it once was,
But is broken glass not still beautiful?
Can crumbled stone not be put to use?
If I place the pieces right
And leave design to greater forces,
Then I’ll become the artist
Of a life more beautiful than before.