What do you do when you feel triggered, but trapped?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

artichoke
town councillor
town councillor

What do you do when you feel triggered, but trapped?

Post by artichoke » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:08 pm

This past weekend I was "stuck" in a car with mr. artichoke and his dad. I was in the back seat sort of dozing on and off, but ended up listening in on their conversation which, over time, definitely triggered me. I started feeling panicky - like that increased heart rate / flushed feeling, and I managed to just breathe through it, but it was very upsetting and took a few more hours (and a few more naps) to feel back to normal.

I'd really like to hear any techniques that people use when you can't remove yourself from a triggering situation. Should I get an mp3 player or something for emergency situations? I really don't want to find myself in the same place again where I can't not listen.

artichoke

morganbellamy
settling in
settling in

Post by morganbellamy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:01 pm

i really reccommend mp3/personal cd player/ipod/mini disc/whateva you can get. as long as the music u actualy listen to is not triggery (and some of it can be) i have found its a good way to cope. good luck and take care xx
It's as simple as that, you are so beautiful in every dimension

artichoke
town councillor
town councillor

Post by artichoke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:49 am

Oops, I probaly should have put this in "coping", but thanks morganbellamy and Seradjernie for replying! I guess I know now what I'm going to ask for for Christmas :) Usually I listen to a variety of music in my car but over the last month I haven't switched off the classical station (grew up with classical) so it would be helpful to have a big selection of classical at all times. I think that would help immensely.

artichoke

ShellyT
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by ShellyT » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:31 am

music is definatley a good idea. If I'm in school, I usually start doodling or writing down song lyrics or something, jsut anything ot distract me. So any things that can distract you from what's going on is good :)
Essentially SI free for a 10 years now. Go me!

After all that bus has done for me in the past, I'm giving back. :heart:

treesleeper
building community
building community

Post by treesleeper » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:57 pm

I get "freaked out" in public places a lot. Especially school, church, places where there are lots of people. I think being around too many people at once really triggers me. No advice, just wanted to say "me too!" :)
You're bound to lose if you let the blues get you scared to feel. -Joni Mitchell

TwistedVision
creating your space
creating your space

Post by TwistedVision » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:34 am

any time i cant get away from people or things that are triggering me, or what not, i find that the only thing i can do is concentrate on just breathing, ussually just being insainly focused on just that is enough to distract me for a bit, although, now and then i get funny comments because it apears im just staring off into space,

pink1
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by pink1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:52 pm

I use my ipod its the best
:pinkstar: :pinkstar: :pinkstar: :pinkstar:

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return

My lj > http://www.livejournal.com/users/pink1/