Hiding Scars*SI maybe*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

tweetuums
one of us
one of us

Hiding Scars*SI maybe*

Post by tweetuums » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:43 am

Does anyone know of anyway to hide scars besides long sleeves and pants? Most of mine should have been stitched, but I wouldn't go to the hospital. Is it possible to have a doctor recut them and stitch them up so they are less noticeable? Also, has anyone tried tattooing over them? I am female and am scared a tattoo would draw even more attention to my arms. I just want to look normal without everyone asking questions. I wish I had never done this, but at the time it didn't matter whether I would have scars or not. The last time, my husband found out and begged me to have it stitched, but I was scared a doctor would commit me. So, now I am trying to find out how to hide the scars. I earned my scars, but I am tired of telling people I was in a car accident or some equally unbelievable lie.

thatonechick
creating your space
creating your space

Post by thatonechick » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:34 am

Hmm, What about bracelets or using make up to hide them. I mean I don't know about the make up part since they've been stitched, but I'd give it a shot.

Dungeon_Lilly
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by Dungeon_Lilly » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:49 pm

Where do you live? in the UK you can ask a doctor to reffer you to the red cross for skin camoflauge otherwise theres loads of make up like dermablend you can use.
<center>

I'm all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality

:tslug:

:dkpurpstar: :purpstar: :lpurpstar:

omaha
one of us
one of us

Post by omaha » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:40 am

i think general recommendations are long sleeves, make up and jewelery (spelling? sorry). i would say maybe forgo the tattoo idea. not because i'm anti-tattoo but tattoos seem like they would draw even more attention and it's hard to properly tattoo over scar tissue, i think the ink doesn't take or something. i'm also not sure it's possible to reopen the wound and try to reheal it like doctors do for a broken bone. i suspect it would only make the scarring worse (however i've never been to medical school so a second opinion on that would not be a bad idea).

i think there are also some products to make scars less visiable. the results were debated in a couple of other threads i think, though i'm not sure where.

i hope that was somewhat helpful, though i suspect not.

good luck.
"and I'm not my body, or how I choose to destroy it"- Rilo Kiley, the abscence of god

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:07 pm

I know exactly how you feel, I wish I didn't have scars too, but I just use plasters/concealers, and it does work... Don't get tattoos!! Well, you can if you want but I wouldn't...

Good luck; I hope things are better soon; remember you don't have to be upset or ashamed about your scars: just ignore them. It's what I've learnt to do. For instance, I used to get extremely unhappy whenever I thought about them/looked at them, but now I'm learning to live with them and although I really wish I hadn't done it and yes I didn't care about scars when I did them, I am adjusting to them. I'm sure that you can too!

Lots of love, good luck and best wishes!
Hannah :) :) :)
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>

treesleeper
building community
building community

Post by treesleeper » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:57 pm

Tweetums,
Are your wounds healed? If they are healed but have just left nasty scars, you can buy a gel to naturally decrease the scar. This really works; I'm serious.

I had a large, ugly scar on my leg from a really bad burn. My doctor reccomended Mederma (but I'm sure there are other brands out there too). It is made from onion and it helps your skin replenish and replace the scar tissue. My burn is *completely* gone.

You might try this. If you can't find it at a drugstore you can call your doctor; you don't have to tell him where you got the scars. Hope this helps.

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:29 pm

Mederma; is it remedy? I have horrid scars that I want to get rid of... Is it available in London at chemists?

Thanks
Hannah :) :)
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>