blood clots?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

sweetyesterdays
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

blood clots?

Post by sweetyesterdays » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:06 pm

i read in here that you can snap a rubber band on your wrist to kind of distract yourself...so ive been using it...

a few days ago i heard that it can cause blood clots in your wrist and make you more prone to heart attacks and such..

does anyone know if this is true??
"i smoke & i drink
& every time i blink i have a tiny dream
but as bad as i am
i'm proud of the fact
that i'm worse than i seem.
what kind of paradise am i looking for?
i've got everything i want and still i want more..."

one.

Nate2002
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Nate2002 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:24 pm

i haven't heard anything about blood clots or heart attacks related to this distraction. it is a distraction i have used a couple of times and it did sort of help but sort of not. (it just wasnt enough). i should think that if there was an increased risk of these things caused by snapping an elastic band on your wrist it would possible be related to doing it against the underside or if the band was too tight (where all the veins etc are) probably if it was done on the top of the wrist it would be no more risky than wearing a watch. please keep in mind though that i am not a medical person so my advice does not come from expert knowledge or anything.
si free since april 28th 2003
:tslug: Join my msn group:
http://groups.msn.com/NateandTJsRandomZone :tslug:

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:08 am

i've never heard this. i do think, though, that you can end up turning it into a form of self-injury by doing it too often and too hard. all of the distractions that involve intense sensation should be seen as short-term stuff.

deb

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:20 am

It can be dangerous to use them tightly on you're wrists..... and keep them there... can cut off curculation. Also...snapping it too hard on your wrist can cause injury....... i dont know why but i always feel weird about that 'distraction'... it seems like it is just hurting yourself instead of hurting yourself...... maybe i look at it wrong.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

Boris
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Boris » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:21 pm

i've also always felt like it's hurting yourself instead of hurting yourself, like silent scream said...so i dont' do it. but i have no idea about hte physical health injuries you're talking about...maybe ask a doctor about it? or get a friend to ask their doctor about it, on behalf of "an anonymous friend"...if you're too shy to ask your own doctor.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss

...long enough without slips that I've lost track. We can all get there, one way or another!

My Blog

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:24 pm

I would imagine you could only get clots if you blocked off the blood supply for a while - like with tight elastic bands, but not by just snapping it. I used this method once or twice, but did not find it too effective.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker