cutters working in the health care field

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

veggiegurl
one of us
one of us

cutters working in the health care field

Post by veggiegurl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:26 am

Hi all. I'm new here. Is there anyone here who works in health care? How do you deal with coworkers and supervisors finding out? How do you protect yourself from the increased risk of infection? I feel like a total freak sometimes, like I take care of people, I should have my shit together. Anyone else feel similar?

beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by 8586 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:38 am

I am only a freshman in college right now, but I plan to become a child psychiatrist.

Right now, I don't have my shit together, so it's strange, but I am hoping by then I do. Since becoming a psychiatrist takes so long anyways - I have time.

I hope you get some advice you need, I know I didn't give you any, but I am actually sort of curious just like you.

Take care.
Cry as I may, but these tears won't wash you away...

veggiegurl
one of us
one of us

thanks for replying!:)

Post by veggiegurl » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:56 am

My boss found out like, a year ago. He's okay about it though. Most people who know at work are pretty okay about it. There's always the person who talks behind my back though.
I'm smiling on the outside

runningforeva85
creating your space
creating your space

Post by runningforeva85 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:08 am

I am a nursing student- 2nd year and though I havent had to deal with anyone finding out about my SIing, two professors know about my ED and one went and had told me that I shouldnt be a nurse that Iwouldnt be able to handle it. I just told her that I want to be a nurse and I will become one and then she seemed a lil better but it was very discouraging.

ComfortablyNumb
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by ComfortablyNumb » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:13 pm

I'm going for my MA(Medical assistance) right now, and then on to nursing (the programs here are so backed up), I feel the same way as you do sometimes. How can I take care of people if I don't have my own shit together. *hugs*
<center> "You said I remind you of yourself tomorrow."
- Kurt Cobain

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."
-Catcher in the Rye

my place </center>

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:43 pm

I'm a vet which is not technically the health care field really. No one has found out yet and even though scars are visible if people have seen they have not commented. I think the best way to avoid people finding out or getting upset is to be professional so that they concentrate on you doing the job and not on what you look like/ what scars you have. As far as preventing infections you just need to be extra specially careful.

Tamrick
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

Meander
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Meander » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:58 pm

--
Last edited by Meander on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veggiegurl
one of us
one of us

Post by veggiegurl » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:13 am

I'm a CNA, and about a year ago, my charge nurse confronted me about it. She told the DON, who told the ADON. That nurse doesn't work with me anymore, but the other two are okay about it. They insist that a nurse dress my wounds before I go on the floor, which I ignore most of the time. Some of my coworkers who I've become friends with have asked me about it. A lot of people know. Fortunately, I'm very good at my job, so they've been able to overlook my shit. The ADON actually told me that I was going to make a hell of a nurse. And, I've overheard someone talking about it in the break room when they thought I wasn't there, and two other staff members totallly stuck up for me. Could be worse. They're mostly supportive. Which means I'm going to stay at my job forever, because I'll never find a better group!
I'm smiling on the outside