knowledge vs. taking action

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Beta328
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

knowledge vs. taking action

Post by Beta328 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:20 am

I feel like I KNOW all the "healthy alternatives" to SI...writing, exercise, mediation, music, rubber bands, emergency boxes, blah blah blah blah.

So, why don't I always use these things? It's frustrating.

Anyone else feel this way????

Love,
Beta
"It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars."

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:23 am

because si is easier & a quick-fix & an automatic action at times... & in some situations i don't know how to be sure i'll stay safe if i let things get worse...
but yeah. when it's automatic i just don't think. it's impulsive. the rest the times it's never a 'well in this moment *now* i can't think of anything else to do'.
makes it more difficult to stop imo

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: knowledge vs. taking action

Post by limestone » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:03 pm

Beta328 wrote:I feel like I KNOW all the "healthy alternatives" to SI...writing, exercise, mediation, music, rubber bands, emergency boxes, blah blah blah blah.

So, why don't I always use these things? It's frustrating.

Anyone else feel this way????

Love,
Beta
hi, yeah I do. for me it's a variety of reasons. If i've neglected my diet or not taken exercise or gone to bed early enough then I don't do the latter things or do anything extra. So that's one main reason. The other reason for me is that, sometimes if you're not feeling good about yourself you just *don't* want to be nice to yourself etc. That's hard to get around, but not impossible. Maybe also, you've not found what *you* to do to cope. What would you like to do instead of si - not what you feel you *should* do to cope, but what *you* want to do. Forget what others say or do but find your own individual things. Keep trying to use alternatives as it does get easier.

Stellaria
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by Stellaria » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:23 pm

Yes.

I wish I could tell you how to get around it, but I have not at all been successful myself here. Either my desire to SI is not stronger than I can keep myself from doing it by deciding not to. Or I go over the edge and then the only alternatives I will accept are ones that are in themselves destructive. I can postpone, sometimes for weeks, that's all.
Challenges, hugs, and just about everything welcome. :bfly:

New place: invisible words
Old place: invisible ink