anger management?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

nirvana
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

anger management?

Post by nirvana » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:00 am

hey everyone... i was just wondering what you do to cope with built up anger? (besides si)

this doesn't happen often, because i'm normally straightforward with people when they piss me off. but today, i all of a sudden became really frustrated and pissed off at everything. no one said anything to me; i was home alone all day, in fact. but i didn't know what to do with the anger. it was like everything built up inside of me and exploded at once. these are the only things i knew to do:

:redstar: i punched pillows... it only helped a little because the pillows are too soft, and don't really feel real enough for me. :-?
:redstar: i tore up magazines... helped much more than the pillows, but not enough.

i'm sure there's been another thread about this... sorry if it's a repeat. but does anyone have any other tips for dealing with anger?

thank you in advance. :)
love, tara.
i thought i was a fool for no one, but baby i'm a fool for you.

[safe since february 2005.]

marronyeux
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marronyeux » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:34 am

I need help with this too.. most of the anger is directed at myself and it becomes very difficult to not SI.

Illumina
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Illumina » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:56 pm

I think anger is just an evil evil emotion purely because it can quickly become everything you focus on.

I have a couple of things I use when I am feeling angry at something/someone...

:star: I take a ball, any kind of ball whether it's a tennis ball, a little rubber ball, or a football. Bounce it really hard on a hard floor, concrete is great, as hard as you can. Everytime it hits the floor, shout about whatever it is that is pissing you off. At times I've stood and done this for half an hour, and it's helped incredibly. If I am feeling angry at a particular person, I occasionally iamgine the ball is that person's head, but this is probably just me, and slightly freakish...

:star: Take the anger, and focus it into something else, like running, painting, dancing, screaming, ect. Whatever it is that you want to do, let yourself really feel all the anger, and use the energy that you feel. This is a great release.

So you could maybe try the above. Hope this helps in some way.

Megan
<center><i>I do not count the time, 'cause who knows... who knows where the time goes?</i></center>

PaperDoll
town councillor
town councillor

Post by PaperDoll » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:55 pm

If I'm pissed off or just trying not to SI I rip up paper, write down one word that describes how I'm feeling then tear up the paper... stuff like that. I like the ripping up paper one best. It's the most fun ^_^

x

Lyndsie
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Lyndsie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:15 pm

I punch my punching bag or try to scream! I'm sorry to say sometimes it doesn't work!

butterflydust
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by butterflydust » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:34 am

i run and i go up in the forest and smash bottles. (of course then i have to pick up all the glass because i don't want to hurt any deer... if you have an empty room or something that might be better).
then again i'm not very good at this either. i'm angry all the time, and about 99% of my anger is turned onto myself or bottled and internalized for explosion at a later date. :cry:
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

it's what we need to fly: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

in recovery

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:16 pm

This is the emotion I battle the most to control. These days I swear a lot and scream and it usually ends up that I feel embarrassed afterwards cause it is always when people are around.

Sometimes I will tell someone I am agry with them. This is probably the best way to handle it, but it is very hard to do it in a controlled way and often I am still angry after telling them. Totally distracting myself from the anger - by playing with my dogs or something like that may help at times.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker