comfort book (an idea)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

comfort book (an idea)

Post by angelic212 » Fri May 14, 2004 12:08 am

i ve been searching on the internet for things to help me cope cause lately ive been so triggered well i have triggered myself really bad eating disorder wise and i think this would help me and i think it would help you all too

please read it and tell me what you think!

comfort book A comfort book is something you create for yourself, by pasting or drawing things onto the pages, and writing feel-good messages next to them. It’s a small notebook or sketchbook filled with things that make you feel good:
o a letter from a friend;
o photos of people you love;
o images that make you feel good (you can make colour photocopies of a few pages out of a book, or scan them);
o little cartoons that make you smile, etc.

For feel-good messages, you can write:
o affirmations,
o loving messages about yourself,
o things that you like about yourself,
o things that people you care about like about you,
o or anything you need to hear when you're feeling vulnerable or frightened (like reminding yourself that you're safe).

love always maria

Celany
one of us
one of us

Post by Celany » Fri May 14, 2004 4:04 am

that sounds like an excellent idea! also, I would like to mention making a box of happy mometos of your past. for instance, if you went to a movie & loved it, you might keep the ticket stub. or if you have a favorite resturant, keeping a bill from there, with your favorite meal. any kind of artsy stuff, or things that you're proud of. favorite pictures.

I started a box of memories when I was about 7. and taking those things out & handling them is amazing. I still have things from when I was seven years old, stuff I drew, an old lock of hair (I was a blonde toehead then).

it may seem silly to make some things now (I always feel silly when I do it), but when I look back at stuff from even a year ago, I'm always happy that I did it. there is enough happiness in that box to really put a smile on my face.
~there is no solution, seek it lovingly~

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Tue May 25, 2004 8:09 pm

I like that idea. I have a couple of journals that I keep that also only contain positive stuff that works in a similar way.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

Middleground
settling in
settling in

Post by Middleground » Tue May 25, 2004 8:21 pm

Hm, I should start keeping one... all my notebooks are filled with reeeaaaaally negative dark stuff... :oops: