How to tell my parents?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

starkid
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

How to tell my parents?

Post by starkid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:44 pm

I want to tell my parents because i tried to stop cutting by myself and i can't. and i need help so i think its time to tell them what i have been doing for 8 years. But i don't know how to tell them.
luv jess
SI Free Since June 8, 2009 ( 2 Slips)
One very bad

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Could you tell them in person, or if not, write a letter?
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:45 am

hey . well done on deciding to tell them , in my experience it was extremly beneficial to have them on the same page as me and able to support me.

Becuase it's not the kind of thing any parent wants to hear about their child , it's possible that they might react harshly at first - out of shock , this and because telling parents about SI is a reaLLy scary thing to do I opted to do it in a therapy session with my T there just for support and to help keep things stable and contained. I would reccomend this if you have a therpaist ,if not - an older cousin or person you trust ?

good luck . :star: :star:

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

starkid
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by starkid » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 pm

hey thanks
i have not gone to the doctor or even told my parents; how my best friend found out was that she saw the cuts
i never really thought how me telling her to much would bother her.
See i don't think i could ever tell any one else about my self cutting; cause i sort of feel that i would be letting them all down, and it would hurt them and i can't hurt anyone, but myself. Cause i feel that i have to do everything myself. And i feel like i should help everyone; and i feel bad when people have to help me. :( :( :( :(
I have never gone to a doctor even if i cut to deep i would deal with it. So yeah i have been dealing with this by my self for a long long time.
luv jess
SI Free Since June 8, 2009 ( 2 Slips)
One very bad

Mind Explorer
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Mind Explorer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't have any tips or how to, since my own parents found out by seeing the cuts. I just wanted to tell you that I think you made a brave and good decision to tell your parents. I can relate to the fact of taking care of others and being aware of that and telling is a step, I think, towards taking care of yourself.
I hope everything goes well. I think it's important to tell what you've been feeling, because that's why you acted.