getting meds

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

SerenBach
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

getting meds

Post by SerenBach » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:01 pm

is there anyway i can get prescription depression meds without my parents knowing?

im thinking of suggesting it to my counseller as im not coping on my own.

i really dont want anyone to know.
I dont want the world to see me cos i dont think they'd understand.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily been shut down. Sorry for any inconvinences.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:57 am

Depending on your age and the laws where you live, you can go talk to a general doctor about it. he/she will probably insist you keep on with counselling, and may suggest you see a psychiatrist (because generally normal doctors don't prescribe anti-depressants to teenagers).

Remember that meds aren't an instant or sure fix, and they often take time to work.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Moth Forest!
settling in
settling in

Post by Moth Forest! » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:06 am

i've no idea if your parents have to know or not. my doctor, though, did Not seem reluctant to prescribe an antidepressant to me, and i'm 16 (i'd talked to my counselor about it and told her, the doctor, that my counselor thought it'd be a good thing to try). but my mom was with me and agreed to it, so i don't know about the parent/legality aspect. definitely bring it up next time you see your counselor, he/she will probably have some good advice.

good luck

xunwrittenx
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by xunwrittenx » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:03 pm

I believe it depends on your age whether or not they can know. I'm not sure where you live, but according to medical practices today, anyone under the age of eighteen must have their parents knowledge of medications they are taking, just to make sure they are not abusing them(I'm studying to be a nurse. :P) But at the same time, it doesn't make sense since you can get birth control pills in complete confidence. So I'm not exactly sure on that one. I can research some things and find out though :)
Member of Welcome Wagon & SHACA
"Because then you'll see my heart,
In the saddest state, it's ever been."

catspiracy
one of us
one of us

Post by catspiracy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:03 am

Try reading "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns before, during, or after any meds. His book gives piles of info about the various antidepressants prescribed, their effects, and alternatives to taking them.
A companion book by Don Miguel Ruiz tells you how your early life programmed you into false beliefs and agreements, and how to reconfirm your identity as an individual with clear boundaries and a zen-like healthful code of conduct, the "four agreements".

Anti depressants can rock, but as someone earlier mentioned, they can take like 2 weeks to have any noticeable effect, which could be anxiety rather than well being for all ya know. take careful notes about your mental states on meds or not.