medication

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

duloxetine_queen
one of us
one of us

medication

Post by duloxetine_queen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:52 pm

does anyone find medication helpful for depression? i've been on fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram and now duloxetine over an 11 or 12 year period without any noticeable effect on my mood but with various more or less unwanted side effects.
* to be free like the wind *

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 am

Fluoxetine, paroxetine and citalopram are all SSRIs (ie, they inhibit the reuptake of the neurotransmitter, serotonin). Duloxetine does this but also inhibits re-uptake of nor-adrenalin and is therefore classified as an SNSRI.

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with MDD and have been on another SNSRI, Effexor (150 mg/day).

This has worked well for me - maybe something you could discuss with your GP/psychiatrist?

duloxetine_queen
one of us
one of us

Post by duloxetine_queen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am

thank you.
i work in mental health so i'm quite aware of different meds and the ways they work!
GP doesn't want to put me on venlafaxine (effexor) because it tends to have stronger side effects and generally i get all and every potential side effect of any meds i'm on!
* to be free like the wind *

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:54 am

Ah, sorry about that :oops:
BUS is a pretty diverse community so I am never sure at what level to try to pitch information...

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 pm

I think there's a post in Sourcebook about meds and stuff..
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Do you have dysthymia - because that makes it somewhat harder ....

I am on Trazodone (a serotonin antagonist reuptake inhibitor) --it's been working for me on some levels, keeps things nice n stable, helps with anxiety too and I sleep sooo well on it :) ...and no bad side effects.

I don't like ssri's .....just don't, even though I have never been on any. my p-doc wanted to give me sertraline and I refused so we negotiated and came up with trazodone and I am happy with it so far

~Roxi

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:26 am

I've tried over 20 combinations of drugs over 6 years and I finally found one that worked.

Get a good doctor and don't give up.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins