Need Suggestions

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

amazingpillywiggin
one of us
one of us

Need Suggestions

Post by amazingpillywiggin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 am

Well, here I am--I'm not really sure if this is a place for me or not. I haven't actively cut in over a year, but am having some issues with my bulimia. I'm not actively purging, but at my age (41) my doctor is urging me to take preventive measures and lose weight before I develop diabetes or other weight-related health problems that run in my family.

The issue is that I know that trying to "diet" or "eat nutritiously" is the first step on that path back to bulimia and cutting. Once I start saying "I have to limit this" or "I can't eat that" the bad feelings start. You all know how the cycles run in one's head...the stress, then the guilt if you succumb to the urge to binge or cut...Does anyone have any suggestions for not getting obsessive about eating when one is overweight. My doctor said my goal should be 2 1/2 pounds lost per month...I'm already thinking, "I should be able to lose at least twelve per month" and it is scaring me.

Thanks for the insight and help!
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. Buddha

Ice_crystal
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Ice_crystal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:52 am

Hi amazingpillywiggin - welcome to bus! :purpstar:

If I got it right, you're having problems with everything that makes you feel "I have to.." - it's sort of enforcement, isn't it?

What about starting with very small steps - like "one piece of fruit/vegetables per day", or "10 minutes of walk every day" - but always with the alternative in mind that you don't have to do this daily. If you do it - great. If you don't - well, never mind, there are other days. Maybe that eases the enforcement.

If you feel like you don't have any problems with that, you can try to eat 2 pieces daily (for instance), to go out for a longer walk..etc.

And if you don't lose 2.5 pounds/month...well, pity, but better to lose weight slowly but in a safe way.

don't know if this helped...just an idea.
Member of the Welcome wagon

I guess some people are just born with tragedy in their blood.

Sorry for language mistakes! :cowsleep:
My place: Walking on an icy road

faegirl
building community
building community

Post by faegirl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:00 pm

amazingpillywiggin - just remember to take it slow and don't put too much pressure on yourself. I agree with Ice_crystal that you should start small. A great way to start is trying to get in 8 glasses of water per day. It helps fill you up, keeps you hydrated, and if you're drinking ice water, it burns calories while you drink it because your body has to warm it up!

:pinkstar:
"lonely doesn't even begin to cover it."

faegirl is notoriously bad at keeping up with places

i :heart: the disco cow :disco:

onlypurples
bus addict
bus addict

Post by onlypurples » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Throw away your scale or give it to someone you trust, who lets you "borrow it". You will know when you are gaining or losing too fast based on how you feel and how your clothes fit. The more I obsess over the scale, the more I gain.
I'm always a shade of purple...

"Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness" - Psalm 51:14 (TLB)

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~Dan Rather

http://www.mercyministries.org/