suicide and self mutilation seminar

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

suicide and self mutilation seminar

Post by 2crazy » Sat May 10, 2008 2:38 am

this last week i went to a seminar for suicide ideology and self mutilation. it was a great experience (i talked to the instructor for 45 minutes during our lunch break-i think he wants to make me a case study! ha ha)

what i learned was that i am an addict first, and a cutter second. i will always be addicted to something ( already been through the booze, pills, etc.) but its getting to the positive addictions that make a person healthier. i run alot, and im addicted to it. so when i feel the urge to cut arise, i may go for a three mile run. i like to swim, so i may jump in the pool before i si. its what we can do to turn the negtive into a positive.

another thing i learned was that the person should be treated and not the behavior. find out what you hurt about deep down inside, and try to deal with these emotions. mine is that i dont like myself very well, so i must find ways to improve my situation. that will be done with my therapist. i know ive got alot to learn about myself, but right now i just hate me.
deep dark thoughts make it hard to survive.
sometimes i bleed just to know im alive.

Alexa
one of us
one of us

Post by Alexa » Tue May 20, 2008 4:33 am

Could you post information on this seminar?
Love is so short and oblivion so long.

-translation Pablo Neruda

Cuppy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Cuppy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:45 pm

I like what ya said there....it makes alot of sense to me. Thanks :)

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

seminar

Post by 2crazy » Sat May 24, 2008 1:53 am

hi alexa-

the seminar was conducted by an organization called PESI. they have a website too: info@pesi.com., you can also call them at 1800-844-8260. the major objectives of the seminar for me were: identifying the basic goals of self-mutilation, learning the one factor that differentiates self-mutilation from suicide attempts, and learning the role of addictions in the suicidal and si populations.

this seminar was to teach counselors, therapists, nurses and psychiatrists how to deal with the si patients. most therapists arent equipped with the right tools to help people like us.

it gave me insights on why i do some of the hurtful things i do, and how i can direct my emotions in a different way.

thanks for caring, hope you get something out of this.

thanks to you too cuppy for listening.

:wink: cindy

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon May 26, 2008 5:21 am

You're very right - metaphorically, if you treat the cold, the cough gets better.

I wish there were seminars like that here for school teachers.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

nitewalks
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by nitewalks » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:06 pm

thats always been what i have said. the SI isnt the problem. all to often i have friends trying to simply stop cutting, you have to deal with what makes you feel that way first
Everything will be okay in the end, if its not okay its not the end.

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

seminars

Post by 2crazy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:20 am

thanks you two for the input. im still having a hard time not cutting, and i have all the tools i need to stop. i was hoping the seminar would give me more clues, you know? like what alternatives there are to cutting (i know there are plenty on the coping website), from a more scientific point of view. does that make sense?