How can we improve the coping forum?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

crone
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

How can we improve the coping forum?

Post by crone » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:54 pm

Hello all.

I've been thinking recently about what would improve this forum.

What resources would be helpful for you?

I think the idea of a coping forum is brilliant, but I'd like to know if anyone had any ideas of how we could make it better?

What would help you?

I'd now like to turn this over to you to see if anyone has any ideas of things they would like to see?

[I'm thinking resources here. Maybe resources to help with anxiety? Or CBT? Or DBT?]

Thanks,

Adam
The time to tell someone you care, is now

"Sit with the pain" she says. "Stay with the emptiness; it can take shape if you don't fill it."

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:45 am

Well I'm not sure on resources themselves, but for me I've always had trouble sorting out emotions when it comes to urges to SI, whether it is being bored, being angry, being upset, maybe even jealousy, and working on ways to cope on those would be awesome!

So for me some ways on coping with emotions specifically would please me :)

Jason :grnstar:
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

oakwren
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by oakwren » Thu May 29, 2008 11:37 am

more resources yes. quotes, different ideas for how to approach different situations to help with reframing, to have a list of the tennets of different therapies like what you mentioned e.g. cbt so that people could do it at home but without using a therapist. so that the coping forum could empower people. so that it gets talked about in other websites/services - so that it really becomes somewhere where people turn to, to cope.

because coping is about rechoosing what you want and that is not easy especially when you're depressed, anxious and got other mental health issues.

the forum could be a place where people suggest things that have helped them, but not just suggesting but saying "i tried this for a month and these are the results". so that people can start thinking well, if it worked for them, it can work for me; if i do it for a month. and the time is critical because "to cope" requires committment, guts and the willing to try stuff out and that's what people don't have when they come here because of the mind set that depression, anxiety etc creates.

so the coping forum could bridge that gap so that people come here and are given the knowledge and skills to equip them to start coping for themselves. it's a big task but not impossible. anything is possible. a

and that's what coping and life without si is about: possiblities, transformations, creativitiy, a future - and everyone has the potential to choose a better life - if they want it.

the coping forum could be about saying this is what you could create, if you wish to do so, and if you wish to, these are some ways in which you could use to help you create the life you wish to live, and be the person you wish to be.