Trying to find good things about myself-- help.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Afternoon
creating your space
creating your space

Trying to find good things about myself-- help.

Post by Afternoon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:59 am

At my last counseling session, I came to the realization that many of my emotional problems stem from my belief that I'm unloveable. My counselor suggested that I make a list of things about myself that I like, things that are good.

I've been trying to do that over the past few days, but it is genuinely hard for me to find things to like about myself. So far all I could think of is that I'm a good cook, and that's a pretty lame start.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Any tips on finding my redeeming qualities? I know they're in there somewhere, but I feel like I need a steam shovel to unearth them.
I don't know who I am, but life is for learning.
-Joni Mitchell

irishpecas14
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by irishpecas14 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 am

i struggle with it, especially when there is a question directly addressing what i am good at.

maybe ask friends/family what they think you are good at?

thewaves
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by thewaves » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:44 am

I think that you should try to take the search a little bit away from what your family and friends see as your positive qualities and try to find things that are more personal and not so dependent on the perceptions of others. I also struggle with finding positive things to say about myself, and I used to begin to answer questions about my "best qualities" by stating, "other people say that...". Maybe that is partly a front to avoid sounding egotistical , but I think that answers to those sorts of questions are usually highly indicative of how we see ourselves in relation to other people. Because you feel unlovable, you can't possibly see anything that would be good about yourself, that you could find enjoyable because your automatic assumption is that you're not good enough for anyone else. If you cook for yourself and like it, you're a good cook (which I think is a great thing, by the way). If you care a lot about literature or music or even TV shows, you have a strong interest in the world around you and are responsive to art and beauty. Even little things can be big things, you see.
"I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest film. No lies whatsoever. I thought I had something so simple to say. Something useful to everybody. A film that could help bury forever all those dead things we carry within ourselves. Instead, I'm the one without the courage to bury anything at all. When did I go wrong? I really have nothing to say, but I want to say it all the same." -Federico Fellini's 8 1/2

...beneath the waves...